Recurrent RI - Indian Star

Spurs2131

Location (City and/or State)
Aberdeenshire
Hoping someone can help me here.
My indian star hatchling (about 10 months) has only been with me 5 months and I'm pretty sure she has another RI.
She was unwell when I got her and was treated for a respiratory infection with oral Baytril (5 doses) and f10 nebulised twice a day for 3 weeks. Everything cleared up nicely and she has been absolutely fine but this morning I went to feed her and she was sitting by her water dish spluttering, bubbles out the nose and mouth and straining for breath! I immediately took her out, wiped her nose and mouth and soaked her in the tub with warm water and called the vet. Luckily they were able to give me an appointment in a few hours.
She is no longer struggling like this morning but there is the occasional sneeze, a lot of nose wiping on her front legs and occasional nose bubbles.
What I want to know is how this could have happened ?
She is in a viv with lots of air circulation. Ambient temp not below 26 degrees (78f) and basking around 35 degrees (95f). Humidity hovers between 60 - 80% by use of humidifier.
Night time temps do not go below 26 degrees (78f).
Substrate is orchid bark (used to be coco coir but changed to bark after it was suggested the coir could be bothering her nose)
Water available all the time which she regularly drinks from and self soaks.
She has a humid hide, a few safe plants and 5ft x 2ft of space (this will increase as she grows)
Diet is safe weeds, occassional flowers and some grasses (but she doesnt eat much of the grasses)

She has a great appetite still and is active in the mornings and late afternoon. Even active just now after this mornings episode! The only thing I noticed is that it seemed to be worse right after she took a drink from the water dish.

Im gutted she seems to have another RI. What am I doing wrong? ? There must be something I'm missing or doing incorrectly.

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
My indian star hatchling (about 10 months) has only been with me 5 months and I'm pretty sure she has another RI.
She was unwell when I got her and was treated for a respiratory infection with oral Baytril (5 doses) and f10 nebulised twice a day for 3 weeks. Everything cleared up nicely and she has been absolutely fine but this morning I went to feed her and she was sitting by her water dish spluttering, bubbles out the nose and mouth and straining for breath! I immediately took her out, wiped her nose and mouth and soaked her in the tub with warm water and called the vet. Luckily they were able to give me an appointment in a few hours.
She is no longer struggling like this morning but there is the occasional sneeze, a lot of nose wiping on her front legs and occasional nose bubbles.
She is in a viv with lots of air circulation. Ambient temp not below 26 degrees (78f) and basking around 35 degrees (95f). Humidity hovers between 60 - 80% by use of humidifier.
Substrate is orchid bark (used to be coco coir but changed to bark after it was suggested the coir could be bothering her nose)
She has a humid hide, a few safe plants and 5ft x 2ft of space (this will increase as she grows)
Diet is safe weeds, occassional flowers and some grasses (but she doesnt eat much of the grasses)

She has a great appetite still and is active in the mornings and late afternoon. Even active just now after this mornings episode! The only thing I noticed is that it seemed to be worse right after she took a drink from the water dish.

Im gutted she seems to have another RI. What am I doing wrong? ? There must be something I'm missing or doing incorrectly.

Try upping all your temps by at least 5°F, that might help. Your ambient temps should be at least 80°F

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Its too cold and you are using a humidifier. Stars like it hot. I just worked with a man from India. Here in Santa Clarita it was 108 degrees that day and the crew was complaining about the awful heat. He said: "This would be a nice cool winter day in India..."

Ambient temp should drop below 85-90 for a while and get day time ambient up to 95-ish, and basking temp around 100.

Solve whatever the problem is that requires you to use a humidifier. Breathing air with water vapor in it cannot be good for this little guy, and water vapor is not the same as humidity. You don't need a humidifier in a proper closed chamber.

Do these things and he will cure himself.

Spurs2131

Aberdeenshire
Its too cold and you are using a humidifier. Stars like it hot. I just worked with a man from India. Here in Santa Clarita it was 108 degrees that day and the crew was complaining about the awful heat. He said: "This would be a nice cool winter day in India..."

Ambient temp should drop below 85-90 for a while and get day time ambient up to 95-ish, and basking temp around 100.

Solve whatever the problem is that requires you to use a humidifier. Breathing air with water vapor in it cannot be good for this little guy, and water vapor is not the same as humidity. You don't need a humidifier in a proper closed chamber.

Do these things and he will cure himself.
Thanks so much Tom. I was using temps advised by the breeder... how frustrating.

Humidifier now removed and temps increased. Will add another water dish and a few more plants and see how that goes with keeping humidity up.

Really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks so much Tom. I was using temps advised by the breeder... how frustrating.

Humidifier now removed and temps increased. Will add another water dish and a few more plants and see how that goes with keeping humidity up.

Really appreciate your help. Thank you.
Your original temps are probably okay for a normal adult in a stress free environment when all is good.

For a baby, with a recurring issue, warmer will be better.

Spurs2131

Aberdeenshire
Your original temps are probably okay for a normal adult in a stress free environment when all is good.

For a baby, with a recurring issue, warmer will be better.
Ok great. Thanks for clarifying.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
@Spurs2131 could you clarify something?

You wrote that you gave nebulized treatments of F10, the same stuff that is used to clean out enclosures?

I’ve never heard of it used in this way, and would love to know where you got this idea and more specifically, how you or your vet are able to determine the appropriate dosage for it’s administration, thank you!

Spurs2131

Aberdeenshire
@Spurs2131 could you clarify something?

You wrote that you gave nebulized treatments of F10, the same stuff that is used to clean out enclosures?

I’ve never heard of it used in this way, and would love to know where you got this idea and more specifically, how you or your vet are able to determine the appropriate dosage for it’s administration, thank you!
Not my idea. I was horrified when the vet told me to nebulise disinfectant to my tort!
I googled it before doing it and there is some info on it online. Seems to be used with other reptiles too.
As for the dose... 0.4mls of f10 is diluted with 100mls normal saline and 5 mls of this solution is nebulised over 30 mins twice a day. That's what my tortoise was given anyway (the vet made up the solution, not me). I dont know if the dose would change for different sizes and species and I'm afraid I dont know how they come up with the dose either.

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
Not my idea. I was horrified when the vet told me to nebulise disinfectant to my tort!
I googled it before doing it and there is some info on it online. Seems to be used with other reptiles too.
As for the dose... 0.4mls of f10 is diluted with 100mls normal saline and 5 mls of this solution is nebulised over 30 mins twice a day. That's what my tortoise was given anyway (the vet made up the solution, not me). I dont know if the dose would change for different sizes and species and I'm afraid I dont know how they come up with the dose either.

Thanks for the information, very interesting approach to treating a URI.