Recognize name.

alex_ornelas

Location (City and/or State)
newark ca
Can tortoises recognize or learn their name. I know they cant come like a dog would but can they learn their name?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I doubt it. However, if they recognize you as the food god and come to you when they see you, because they think you have food and you say their name as they start over, you can make people think it came to you because you called it by name:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think they hear regular sounds like we do. More like vibrations.

alex_ornelas

newark ca
Okk. Nd yea my tort never sees me bring him food i leave for school at like 7 am and he just huddles in a corner and stares at me like wtf dude i was sleeping. XD

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Actually, they will come to you like a dog and even beg for food like one...sort of. I know people who have adult sullys that follow them around there back yard where ever they go. When there are no people to follow, they follow each other (there are three of them, two Sulcatas and a Leopard)

My 8 month old Sulcatas come when I open their table top and they run around looking excited when I speak to them. My leopards couldn't care less. They hang out under their moss like pretty little rocks. The only reason I know they move is there is stuff in the water and the moss has been moved. Sometimes I will catch one or two of them eating leftovers when I go to remove the old food and put in new food.

alex_ornelas said:
Okk. Nd yea my tort never sees me bring him food i leave for school at like 7 am and he just huddles in a corner and stares at me like wtf dude i was sleeping. XD

Man, if I didn't feed my guys before 7 am I think they would climb out of the table and knife me in my sleep! I even wake up on weekends to feed them and then I go back to bed. I had to go to the store one morning to get them food and when I got back I swear I saw them hiding plans to kill me in my sleep if it ever happened again!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes, like I said. When they learn you are the food god, they (some) will follow you or maybe even other humans. It's not you they care about or want, it's the food.

Kirin

5 Year Member
Chino, CA
My boy Thor, will come to me when I call him. He will walk over and just sit beside me. He loves for me to pet him and to scratch his shell. So I believe they know more then what we think they do. Just my opinion.

Dorrie Siu

Maybe Dorrie just likes to follow me around. When we go for our walks, I start off behind her and I tell her to walk. She starts off and I go right next to her. Today I went in front of her, and I was walking backwards so I can keep an eye on her. Wherever I walked, she turned the same direction I was going. In the meantime I kept saying "This way, Dorrie! Come on!" The neighborhood kids want a tortoise now haha.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Recognize name.

ascott said:
You all are very funny, very human and very funny. I will not go into how human traits, habit, routine simply offer hints to torts play into what humans have a need to interpret as reciprocated behavior....

:D Enjoy.

:D ;) :D "like" :p

EricIvins

5 Year Member
They can be trained to respond to sound. Matter of fact, most Reptiles can be trained to respond or do specific behaviors to specific sounds.

Peyalice

Saleama said:
Actually, they will come to you like a dog and even beg for food like one...sort of. I know people who have adult sullys that follow them around there back yard where ever they go. When there are no people to follow, they follow each other (there are three of them, two Sulcatas and a Leopard)

My 8 month old Sulcatas come when I open their table top and they run around looking excited when I speak to them. My leopards couldn't care less. They hang out under their moss like pretty little rocks. The only reason I know they move is there is stuff in the water and the moss has been moved. Sometimes I will catch one or two of them eating leftovers when I go to remove the old food and put in new food.

alex_ornelas said:

Man, if I didn't feed my guys before 7 am I think they would climb out of the table and knife me in my sleep! I even wake up on weekends to feed them and then I go back to bed. I had to go to the store one morning to get them food and when I got back I swear I saw them hiding plans to kill me in my sleep if it ever happened again!

Wow! My lil man doesn't even get up until like 8:30! He wakes up and then slowly walks over to his bowl, while falling asleep and waking up along the way lol crazy how they are all different. :)

alex_ornelas

newark ca
Peyalice said:
Saleama said:

alex_ornelas said:

Wow! My lil man doesn't even get up until like 8:30! He wakes up and then slowly walks over to his bowl, while falling asleep and waking up along the way lol crazy how they are all different. :)

I kinda force oliver awake i leave for school at 7 so he wakes up while im getting his food and water for the day and i turn in his light before i leave since I'm the only one home by that time ahah if he could he'd sleep longer

But yea it is funny they all have diff personalities

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Recognize name.

Reptile_lover said:
most tortoises don't have actual ears sooo I don't think they can

They can sense vibration in waves that may or may not (science doesnt know) be interpreted in sound.

alex_ornelas

newark ca
I always thought that kinda thin layer of skin on side if their head that kinda looks like a drum was their ear