Recently moved my Hermann's tort to the basement and he is not acting right

Herman_WA

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Towards the end of December, we had to move my adult Hermann's tortoise to the basement because the humidity was too much for my bedroom walls, and we couldn't keep it up.
So we moved him down (the walls are cement and humidity is higher down there) where it is 55°F. His highest Temp is 87°F and lowest is 67°F. His humidity is 38%.
(Upstairs it was 103°F and lowest was 78°F and humidity was 25%.)
Anyway ever since he has moved down, he has been burrowing and sleeping ALL DAY (and doesn't sleep in his hide) in the same place, and only gets up to eat. Haven't seen him drink....
I have been trying to get him up by soaking him every now and then. Is this bad? He hasn't had very much exercise either.
Will he be like this all year? I was hoping it was just the weather......but it doesn’t make very much sense to me, because he doesn’t go outside this time of year.....

Is it too cold down there? Please feel free to criticize me where needed.
Also, one more quick question, can he eat chia seed sprouts?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The highest temp needs to be 95-100 for basking and to properly digest their food.
So yes, too cold to bask and digest.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Have any tips to get it higher?

What does your enclosure look like?

Also, torts don’t take change very well & like to pout. New area, new temps, etc. He could just be pouting....

Our Sully is outside all Summer long, but once it gets too cold (frosty) we move her down to her designated Winter area. Never fails, she pouts for a few days, won’t come out of her nice cozy warm night box.....etc. but soon, she comes around and gets back to normal. Bottom line - they don’t like change.

Good luck

Herman_WA

Washington

Also, torts don’t take change very well & like to pout. New area, new temps, etc. He could just be pouting....

Our Sully is outside all Summer long, but once it gets too cold (frosty) we move her down to her designated Winter area. Never fails, she pouts for a few days, won’t come out of her nice cozy warm night box.....etc. but soon, she comes around and gets back to normal. Bottom line - they don’t like change.

Good luck
It's been like a month? Would he still be pouting?
Here is is his enclosure.
And yes, I know, its way too small. I'm working on getting him a bigger one.
Sorry for the bad pics... if you need more, let me know.
20210126_135704.jpg20210126_135712.jpg

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't think you are going to get any improvement in him until your temperatures and the humidity level are the correct ones for that species. I don't think there is any getting around that. Good luck with your efforts!

Herman_WA

Washington
I don't think you are going to get any improvement in him until your temperatures and the humidity level are the correct ones for that species. I don't think there is any getting around that. Good luck with your efforts!
Thanks, but I'm still not sure how to boost up the heat...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Really? MORE POWER!

You need more CHEs, RHPs, and a cover over the top.

You can also increase the heat in the basement by 20 degrees.

Yes, to all of the above. A portable electric heater helps a lot too. I use one like this - it takes the chill out of the area & warms up the area nicely.

➡️➡️ Space Heater - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Utility-...1500W-Indoor-Use-Black-Model-DQ2016/642591645

Also, i can’t quite tell from the pictures. Is the enclosure sitting down on the floor or up on a platform? If on the floor, best to raise it up.

Last edited:

Crystallynda

Las Vegas

Good luck
I can relate with change...took me minute to get use to that my sweet “coco was having a pouting moment” I thought he wasn’t normal and I was yelled at several times ?

Herman_WA

Washington
Really? MORE POWER!

You need more CHEs, RHPs, and a cover over the top.

You can also increase the heat in the basement by 20 degrees.
Thats what I was afraid of... he's using a lot of electricity all ready. I'll talk to my dad and see what we can do.

Herman_WA

Washington

Herman_WA

Washington
Update: just checked the temps in his enclosure and his basking spot is actually 99°F but his cold side is still 64°F. Is this still too cold?