Recent Reptile Expos

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pacific NorthWET
Love the footage, but I can't handle the music. Sorry, but the sax (and I'm a French hornist) is definitely not my cuppa tea. Maybe some relaxing Cello in the future? [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for sharing. Still can't stand the way the house them. Also, the pyramiding on such little ones, ugh.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Yep.. I figure, people can just turn the music down if they don't like it. It's obviously more about the animals than anything else. I don't want to leave the awkward show conversations in the background, have silent videos, do voiceovers, or use music that will get my videos taken off of youtube. As much as I love Crazy Train, you won't hear it on any of my videos. That Jazz is as good as it gets on my videos.

As far as the ad conditions, I agree. It can be tough to see. That Three Toed Box Turtle was actually housed with the group of Heosemys grandis on the way in the show. No one would have seen it, but it was obviously wrong for so many reasons.

Thanks for watching though everyone.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Never do I get involved in politics. However, Anthony P , how is it you present these vidios pleasantly THEN turn your tune to insulting ? Who cares about the music ,and saying that the box turtle "is actually housed with The grandis" I think the box might have been brought to the show with them, not housed . I actually know the owner of these animals and he is the most polite , helpful ,kind man . I've purchased some of the nicest torts from him ,healthy, hungry and beautiful .in fact after bringing home some of the grandis ,I was going to post that I had a source for some remarkable turtles at a very reasonable price . (Uncalled for comment deleted from this spot by moderator. There is nothing wrong with what Anthony P. has said) . Most animals can stand the short term stress of a show , IF they are heathy ,how do you acquire your animals ? Private tour buses,private jet replete with full on habitats ? Some of mine get over nighted in little boxes bagged up and covered in fecies at times ,they survive.( and I can afford to privately fly mine in) . Once again I don't want to start trouble but don't understand your change of tune. I'm going to submit this reply and call Keith (the exhibitor of those turtles) . We are here to love each other and turtles ,it's supposed to be FUN . Did you
Exhibit ? It's hard unrewarding work ,I'm glad there are people like Keith that will schlep there stuff so people like me can select specimens like those grandis. Sorry ,let's love each other . Ed

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
It seems to me many shows, and the vendors who display become odd mixes of things on a table. Someone who does great with bearded dragons might also have a small poor display of leopard tortoises, as they have a group in their backyard, that happens to breed, or they are sharing table space with an unknown, not present partner.

Like when you are in Home Depot, they now carry cut flowers, like at a florist. Who in Home Depot is a florist? Or buying fishing gear at the Gas station. I think for breeders they end up with what they are good at being the driver of why they are there, and then the 'other' animals go along for the weekend - maybe a sale and a few more $$ to cover the costs.

Dealers are dealers, anything that was imported cheap, that they can turnover, from the wholesalers they get from. Great variety and initial price, sometime a real bargain, mostly not.

The bar to enter as a seller is for the most part, just the fee, no vetting of any sort goes into it. Many shows make claims that only captive bred will be allowed, but I have never seen that as the reality once there.

I see much value in these videos, thanks for taking the time to pull it together. I'm not sure why first hand observation should ever be considered not acceptable, and that you show with images, and video is well worth more than the standard of 1,000 words.

Even the collections of still images like RaneyGirl did for the NARBC in Anaheim brought observations with her camera to TFO, that I missed from actually being there.

Thanks for the effort. I like pretty much all music depending on my state of mind, or the state of mind I want to get into. Metallica could be a good choice too, but I guess they are getting long in the tooth for many.

Will

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Will said:
It seems to me many shows, and the vendors who display become odd mixes of things on a table. Someone who does great with bearded dragons might also have a small poor display of leopard tortoises, as they have a group in their backyard, that happens to breed, or they are sharing table space with an unknown, not present partner.

Like when you are in Home Depot, they now carry cut flowers, like at a florist. Who in Home Depot is a florist? Or buying fishing gear at the Gas station. I think for breeders they end up with what they are good at being the driver of why they are there, and then the 'other' animals go along for the weekend - maybe a sale and a few more $$ to cover the costs.

Dealers are dealers, anything that was imported cheap, that they can turnover, from the wholesalers they get from. Great variety and initial price, sometime a real bargain, mostly not.

The bar to enter as a seller is for the most part, just the fee, no vetting of any sort goes into it. Many shows make claims that only captive bred will be allowed, but I have never seen that as the reality once there.

I see much value in these videos, thanks for taking the time to pull it together. I'm not sure why first hand observation should ever be considered not acceptable, and that you show with images, and video is well worth more than the standard of 1,000 words.

Even the collections of still images like RaneyGirl did for the NARBC in Anaheim brought observations with her camera to TFO, that I missed from actually being there.

Thanks for the effort. I like pretty much all music depending on my state of mind, or the state of mind I want to get into. Metallica could be a good choice too, but I guess they are getting long in the tooth for many.

Will

Nice to see another Metallica fan.
I have one of their songs tatted on my back

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
DevilsLettuce said:
Will said:

Will

Nice to see another Metallica fan.
I have one of their songs tatted on my back

Funny, when I was in graduate school, and needed to clear my mind before some test, I'd blast some Metallica on the head phones. Somehow it brought out something that helped me with that kind of crunch. I think it added a few % point to each test. Now kids are taking brain drugs, but I think Metallica was doing this all along. I am not a tattoo level fan though.

The show videos are good with any music, I know hw to adjust volume on my 'puter. Will

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
Yeah I used to be real into them but I stick to my Hawaiian reggae roots nowadays, suits my mood and keeps me calm. But the song My Friend of Misery meant a lot to me at the time I got the tattoo.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
edwardbo said:
Never do I get involved in politics. However, Anthony P , how is it you present these vidios pleasantly THEN turn your tune to insulting ? Who cares about the music ,and saying that the box turtle "is actually housed with The grandis" I think the box might have been brought to the show with them, not housed . I actually know the owner of these animals and he is the most polite , helpful ,kind man . I've purchased some of the nicest torts from him ,healthy, hungry and beautiful .in fact after bringing home some of the grandis ,I was going to post that I had a source for some remarkable turtles at a very reasonable price . (Uncalled for comment deleted from this spot by moderator. There is nothing wrong with what Anthony P. has said) . Most animals can stand the short term stress of a show , IF they are heathy ,how do you acquire your animals ? Private tour buses,private jet replete with full on habitats ? Some of mine get over nighted in little boxes bagged up and covered in fecies at times ,they survive.( and I can afford to privately fly mine in) . Once again I don't want to start trouble but don't understand your change of tune. I'm going to submit this reply and call Keith (the exhibitor of those turtles) . We are here to love each other and turtles ,it's supposed to be FUN . Did you
Exhibit ? It's hard unrewarding work ,I'm glad there are people like Keith that will schlep there stuff so people like me can select specimens like those grandis. Sorry ,let's love each other . Ed

Hello Ed,

Nice to meet you. Your friend in question has been very nice to me. I wasn't going to bring up his name here, as that wasn't meant to be a bashing of anyone, and although I understand your wanting to defend your friend, there was no need to bring up his name. You did that. If you knew me at all, you'd know that I made that video for the same reason he brought his animals there. I know all about "unrewarding" work, and yes I did vend.

I'm sure if you asked him, he would say the same about keeping those animals together. And the fact that animals will often survive temporary situations like that, doesn't mean it's a smart idea. Thousands of RES survive around the world in subpar conditions, but that doesn't make it right.

I respect your friend very much and I had a good conversation with him on many occasions. I never meant for anyone to know his name. I brought it up so that we can talk about an issue in turtle keeping that is important and debated. Did you notice that I did not mention his name or make a negative post about him specifically? If I could go back to when I wrote that, I wouldn't have written it. I did not mean to "bad mouth" anyone, but simply discuss a commonly exercised poor practice that we all, myself included, have done.

Next time, please PM me. I would have deleted the comment if you hadn't turned this into such a spectacle.

My apologies to your friend, who hadn't done anything differently than most of us have done before. I was just stating the truth, without giving him a bad review. He's a nice guy and we all should be allowed to make mistakes. I was very happy to see his grandis as well, which I told him. Good luck with them.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
Thank you , you seem very nice. It was the change of tone that had me puzzled ...........................(8 hours later, ) after thinking all day about this . I'm sorry , you sound amazingly sincere . I think what set me off was I sensed the tension at the show (me and no name are not actually friends) and saw this guys anxiety , he really is the nicest , most gentle helpful guy I've met in a long time, having sons must have brought out the protective instinct in me . So let's forget the whole thing ,ok? ...... Money does make the world go round and I look forward to the opportunity to select animals for my collection . Nothing alive is really sterile , nor should we live in bubbles , nature is harsh and we are talking about animals ....... Never mind , if this is our only problem we should be happy ,very happy. ..........in my life if learned there is a HUGE difference between practice and theory. .........let's be friends and forget this whole thing , happy turtle keeping , with love . Ok? (Ps I don't know how to pm) as an after thought if you guys ever saw what goes on in operating rooms you would be shocked, I'm talking about the most prominent hospitals and surgeons in the world. Which brings me to another point I've been meaning to bring up ( I don't know how to start a new post ) ........haven't any of you noticed a complete lack of any veterinary presence on this or any boards ? Don't you wonder why? ...... Over and out .

After rereading the post , I still sense a tone of hostility and an issue of accountability , back peddling and remorse . .........spectacle indeed! . This is really funny ,like I said if this is our only problem .........and why should I pm you?.... I love capitalist America and with regard to breeders, dealers, and back yard breeders I don't see the problem. Vote with your feet , let the buyer be ware .that's how the world works.

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Re: RE: Recent Reptile Expos

Anthony P said:
Hey guys,

Here are a couple videos that show some short clips of the turtles and tortoises we've seen at two expos over the last week. There are some really great species in here. Hope you like them.

Mass Expo 10/27/13:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1QoDvoR2rw

Hamburg Expo 10/19/13:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_uWgayrbEQ

Thank you for posting. I didnt make it to the MA one so glad to see what I missed.
Were those nice radiated torts for sale?!
I have only ever been to one expo and I dont remember seeing that many torts. Only snakes. And lizards. And a few cool frogs. But lots and lots o of snakes!
Where is Hamburg?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Hi Ann,

Too bad you couldn't make it. Between the radiata, grand is, and pardalis pardalis, things were pretty cool. I was really impressed at this show. As with most shows northeast of hamburg, I had low expectations. Obviously, I was pleasantly surprised.

Hamburg is in PA, and it is a "must see" for any northeast turtle or tortoise nerd. If you are sick of seeing bearded dragons, geckos, and snakes, Hamburg is the show for you.