Re: Sonoran Desert Tortoises

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
El Sobrante, CA.
1608825951420.png
An icon of the desert needs your help. South and east of the Colorado River, in Arizona and Mexico, desert tortoises have roamed for millennia over the sage-green, saguaro-studded hillsides of the Sonoran Desert. Now, under threat from habitat loss, unnatural wildfires, drought and climate change, they're at risk of disappearing.
There is a "USA" petition to help them, due to the fact that they are the "Low Tort on the totem pole".
In 2010 the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service took the tortoise off the candidate species list entirely.
Please if you can sign the petition.

Click, or Copy & Paste, In your browser...

To all, I apologize ahead of time If I stepped on toes by posting this...
I just try to look out for ALL living creatures. Walkers, Crawlers, Fliers, & Swimmers!
Thank you TF folks ahead of time..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd love to help them, but the stupid government has made it illegal. They've banned breeding them and banned all trade in them. That is the best way to make a species go extinct. Meanwhile, they keep putting bombing ranges and military compounds in prime DT habitat, instead of moving their stuff a few miles one way or the other into territory that is uninhabitable for DTs.

Do I sound frustrated with the situation? I am.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
I'd love to help them, but the stupid government has made it illegal. They've banned breeding them and banned all trade in them. That is the best way to make a species go extinct. Meanwhile, they keep putting bombing ranges and military compounds in prime DT habitat, instead of moving their stuff a few miles one way or the other into territory that is uninhabitable for DTs.

Do I sound frustrated with the situation? I am.
Tom, I can relate.
So are you saying they (The Govmnt) has banned captive DT breeding. If so, do you know why?
They (The Govmnt) are slowly tring to take captive bred parrots away also. By slowly removing rights & abilities.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tom, I can relate.
So are you saying they (The Govmnt) has banned captive DT breeding. If so, do you know why?
Yes. Its always been illegal to intentionally breed them or allow them to breed. If they do manage to breed by some accident, then its illegal to interfere with the eggs in any way. If the eggs happen to hatch, you are allowed to care for the babies. You can then get a permit for each one and keep them, or you can give them away for free to other people in your state. DTs occur in AZ, CA and NV.

Why? Because that is what we've allowed our government to become. Many reasons have been offered, but all of them are BS, and the laws have the opposite effect.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Yes. Its always been illegal to intentionally breed them or allow them to breed. If they do manage to breed by some accident, then its illegal to interfere with the eggs in any way. If the eggs happen to hatch, you are allowed to care for the babies. You can then get a permit for each one and keep them, or you can give them away for free to other people in your state. DTs occur in AZ, CA and NV.

Why? Because that is what we've allowed our government to become. Many reasons have been offered, but all of them are BS, and the laws have the opposite effect.
Seems a lot of what our gubmint does is arbitrary at best. But I digress.....