Re-homing? NC-SC

boxiemomma

Location (City and/or State)
SC
Boxiemomma, if you are still looking for someone to adopt, we can perhaps talk? I may not be your ideal candidate…I’ve only had one small juvenile boxy up to this point, and no other turtles/tortoises. I was soft starting the little and planning on moving her outside this summer but she unfortunately passed. I live just south of Charlotte in SC, and I could legally take in your two. Moving your setup might be helpful, but we can build…we have an acre yard fringed by woods, a creek etc. I have all the supplies for a filtered pond (and we will make sure we are flip proof). Hope you are having luck with the house hunt in Maine.

boxiemomma

SC
Sorry to hear about her passing ? all options on table. I'll circle back with yoy

boxiemomma

SC
Everything still on table, rehoming, trying to buy South enough in ME we could take them. Which would require outdoor enclosure and maybe indoor also, so 4 all together for the 2. Anyone here do fridge hibernation if you cannot do outside? What would be healthier indoors awake all winter appropriate lighting etc. Or indoor in fridge hibernation? I believer we could build a hibernaculum in a basement or garage for winter hibernation, hubby disagrees due to qmnt of mass (soil) to small space like a tote, not like them being in the earth. Anyone have success witb winter hibernation inside if need be although we are well aware outside much better

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Everything still on table, rehoming, trying to buy South enough in ME we could take them. Which would require outdoor enclosure and maybe indoor also, so 4 all together for the 2. Anyone here do fridge hibernation if you cannot do outside? What would be healthier indoors awake all winter appropriate lighting etc. Or indoor in fridge hibernation? I believer we could build a hibernaculum in a basement or garage for winter hibernation, hubby disagrees due to qmnt of mass (soil) to small space like a tote, not like them being in the earth. Anyone have success witb winter hibernation inside if need be although we are well aware outside much better
Hello…the safest form of brumation is under a controlled environment(refrigerator or a hibernaculum in garage or basement-so long as the environment is prepped/monitored correctly.

While all my adults brumate outdoors in northwest Ohio, my juveniles brumate indoors with the fridge method. Both methods take extra time to prep during the end of September to allow the turtles metabolism to naturally slow down during October. By November, the brumating has begun. I always loosen the soil throughout the enclosure then start about a foot of grass clipping. Then I add about 2 feet of leaf litter to the whole enclosure. Unfortunately, there is still risk with the extreme unpredictable weather in Ohio. 2 years ago I had to put 2 turtles on antibiotics with respiratory issues once they emerged.

My suggestion or recommendation is to keep your beloved shelled friends and make Maine work for you and them. I would have a difficult time giving up on these very hardy box turtles after having them for 20 years. You can make any part of Maine work for them if you put the time and resources into maintaining their needs;) Best of luck on your difficult decision and I hope you find a home on your next journey.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Boxie, SC has been fantastic...and we are headed back this morning. Yes, we'd be happy to help w/ rehoming your little guy...just message some contact info and I'll check here when we get on the road this morning. Kerry will be driving so I'll have all kinds of time while in "support mode".

Jeff

boxiemomma

SC
Hello…the safest form of brumation is under a controlled environment(refrigerator or a hibernaculum in garage or basement-so long as the environment is prepped/monitored correctly.

While all my adults brumate outdoors in northwest Ohio, my juveniles brumate indoors with the fridge method. Both methods take extra time to prep during the end of September to allow the turtles metabolism to naturally slow down during October. By November, the brumating has begun. I always loosen the soil throughout the enclosure then start about a foot of grass clipping. Then I add about 2 feet of leaf litter to the whole enclosure. Unfortunately, there is still risk with the extreme unpredictable weather in Ohio. 2 years ago I had to put 2 turtles on antibiotics with respiratory issues once they emerged.

My suggestion or recommendation is to keep your beloved shelled friends and make Maine work for you and them. I would have a difficult time giving up on these very hardy box turtles after having them for 20 years. You can make any part of Maine work for them if you put the time and resources into maintaining their needs;) Best of luck on your difficult decision and I hope you find a home on your next journey.
Thanks Eric trust me we are trying. They have been outside all their lives doing what they should do. And always come through great, we are just hesitant as the climate change will be not only drastically, but they will lose some time as it is shorter good weather up there as compared to SC.