Re-homing for Sulcata

dlhawaii

Have a male Sulcata in excellent health that needs a new home; tortoise was a rescue found in 2007 weighed 4 lbs then; he is now 58 lbs as of last checkup (Feb 2014). His shell does have pyramiding of scutes and some imperfections – all from his time prior to being found in 2007.

He currently resides in Hawaii and I am willing to cover a portion of shipping costs.

Attachments

• P1010556 (Medium).JPG
    P1010556 (Medium).JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 92

bullanddoser1

Do you know price of shipping? I am in NM and it gets cold. I would need to work on a winter home.

dlhawaii

Do you know price of shipping? I am in NM and it gets cold. I would need to work on a winter home.
It costs ~$500 via United PetSafe however I would be willing to pay the entire amount if you think you could take him. He used to live in Northern California where the temps got down into the 30s many winter nights with daytime highs in the 50s; at that location I had a pig pad plus an infrared lamp; the lamp was over the pig pag and on a thermostatic control and timed to only run at night; I also had a sun lamp on thermo control/timer since there were many sunless days in the winter. I gave all that gear to his vet when we moved here otherwise I would include that as well. Let me know what you think. Thx

bullanddoser1

I am working on a large enclosure. this may take me a few weeks to have completed for him is that okay? Can you tell me a little bit more about him and why you are rehoming him? is he friendly?

dlhawaii

I am working on a large enclosure. this may take me a few weeks to have completed for him is that okay? Can you tell me a little bit more about him and why you are rehoming him? is he friendly?
That timing is fine. His name is Sulki and he is friendly and very curious; likes to be with people or where there is activity. He has learned to open sliding gates that we have on the fence around the yard so we have to be good about always latching them - not just closing them - his daily routine includes frequent checks to see if someone has left the gate unlatched. He would also come in the house if he could; he learned to navigate up and down a fairly steep set of steps at the front of the house and he comes up to look in the door and see if he can come in. I think he sees the dog being let in/out and sees all of us going in/out and as part of the family thinks he should be able to do the same.

He currently has free run of our yard which is a good size and grazes on the lawn; we supplement with romaine, hibiscus flowers, cucumbers and tomatoes. In California we had access to dandelions which he also loves. As is typical of these guys he likes to roam so he spends countless hours trying to get through fences and hedges and under the house; if he can see it he wants access to it.

We need to rehome him as we are moving to a place with only a little yard and he has gotten big enough that it is difficult for me to move him (lift/carry) when he gets himself stuck some where; he likes to dig if he finds some thing that looks like it can be gotten under; he currently sleeps in our outside laundry room; we had a nice enclosed house for him similar to what he had in Calif but once he got here he wouldn't use it and after trying a variety of locations he chose the laundry room which he returns to nightly; though he is getting too big for that area as well.

I have several pictures of him of the time we have had him; if you would like to see those then send me your email and I will forward. Let me know if you have more questions.

dlhawaii

Email [email protected] . Do you think railroad ties would keep him in? I was thinking stacking them 2 high. Any low $ options just for this winter, better setup next yr.
They should be okay; they have to be staked into the ground very well. I will send some pix of what we have done to keep him out of gardens etc.

Lego man

5 Year Member
If the other offers don't work out I'm willing to take him. I have a sulcata now that I just rescued. I live in eastern NC and have 2.5 acres in the country for them to roam and a heated house for them. Would love to take him in and give him a good home. You can email me @ [email protected]

dlhawaii

Hi All - thanks for the responses about my sulcata. I was able to find him a great new home in New Mexico and he just moved there last week.