Raw versus cooked meat

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I was wondering what people's views are about feeding my box turtle raw meat versus cooked meat. is it necessary to always cook the meat you give them? Is there a concern about the bacteria etc. in the uncooked meat? I just throw this out there because in nature they eat carrion at times and it definitely is not cooked. besides insects and worms I hear they also eat small lizards, fish etc. I feed my dog and cats a raw diet and I've never had any problems with illness. I know there is debate on whether they should receive cooked or raw I was just wondering if there is the same debate in the turtle and tortoise world. Just wanted to get peoples thoughts and opinions on this. Thank you.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
New to box turtles but mine get raw ground turkey, raw beef hearts but cooked chicken. Bugs get eaten live/raw and since I don't see my boxies using a little Colman camping stove to cook their bugs I done see why you can't give them raw meats.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would not offer any meat that was not organic.....and even that is not the same as if the tort/turtle came across a natural meat treat in the wild....those wild animals would likely have never been force fed antibiotics, meds for illness and such.....

Ciri

5 Year Member
Tucson
I think that raw organic meat should be okay. I do remember my reptile vet saying that I could feed raw fish to my box turtles. I haven't actually fed them any of this raw. When I had just moved into this place, though, I would give them a walk in the yard and when I went to get them they had little white feather fluff on their mouths. This happened with several of them, and I couldn't figure out where they were getting it. Then I found a dead bird that was so old it was probably bird jerky. Yum Yum!!!