Rats

Status
Not open for further replies.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
spain
Guys I can't tell you how I felt when a customer brought to me his beautiful Greek tort, I know this tort quite well, but I was never keen on the owner, (idiot comes to mind)

This little girl was about 8 years old, she has just woken up, she buried herself in the garden and the owner just left her there, he came out with the usual if they were in the wild crap :(

The poor tort had been half eaten by a rat.....
I would of taken a picture but it would be tooo graphic.
The poor girl had her tail chewed of completely the back legs were just exposed flesh with one missing half of leg,even her shell was damaged.
The front part of her body had not been touched, although the shell had been damaged,

Well, what could I do, I took the decision of putting her out of her misery as just looking at her injuries I knew that a spot of cream and antibiotics wouldn't be sufficient,

She must of been in terrible pain, no one could imagine the damage a rat or even a mouse can inflict on torts, this was the worst case I have seen.

I made the decision for the owner and I gave her a shot of T61,
For anyone that is not familiar with T61, it's a injection that stops the heart, it is communally used for putting domestic pets to sleep.

So to those that are new on the whole tortie thing protect your torts even in winter, I tell my customers to put them in a shoe box and store them in a dry cool place where rodents cannot get to.....

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
That is awful, owners like that belong behind bars for being idiots..

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
How sad :( Poor little tortoise.

M

Maggie Cummings

I have seen the damage that rats can do to a tortoise and it is just so horrid...I am sorry you had to see that and do what you did. My sympathies are with you...:tort:

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I am not the one needs sympothy,yes i am sad, I am furious, yes the poor tort was literally being eaten alive when there was no need. But I did not post to get sympathy but to get awareness to the newer tort owners.

It wasn't that hard putting the tort to sleep because I knew that would re rive her of her pain, yes I could of tried to treat her, but why? So she could live one more week in pure agony,

I just cannot start to explain how angry I am when this could of been prevented, I can feel my blood boiling just thinking about it, and do you know te worst thing is I could not take it out on the ****** of a owner because he is a customer.
Sorry guys I just needed to let of steam....

Status
Not open for further replies.