Rats

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Holy crap. I live on the edge of a grass seed farm in a semi rural area so some sightings are inevitable, but I literally see rats daily. Big as a house cat sleek looking biga**ed rats. I stopped feed birds for the summer so there isn't any seeds for them to eat...but they are still doing this, my foot for size comparisons...
100_0736.JPG100_0733.JPG
Yesterday, there were 9 new holes. Now...understand I see 1 or 2 rats a day, and I see new what I THINK are rat holes. I flooded the mole holes so much he left, but when I say I got rats, I GOT me some rats...no mole hills, just these big holes. Rat holes? Skunk (they live under the tort shed?) Raccoon holes? Naw, but they do come in the yard a lot at night. So I am asking, rats? Or what?
Here's what I see daily...I don't really know if the rats are connected with the holes, or what? Are my turtles and tortoises in danger? Anybody have any idea?. The professional pest people want money just to come out and tell what they are. And they want $70 for every animal they trap, but no poisons. I can trap the damn things myself...but all I wanna know is...what can/does make these holes...and are my torts in danger?????
100_0729.JPG100_0738.JPG
There are several new holes in this photo can you count them???

Attachments

• 100_0739.JPG
    100_0739.JPG
    893.6 KB · Views: 11

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Rats, gophers, moles?
Put some wire scrub pads in the holes. You can also spray mint around, they suppose to not like the mint smell.
Yes your torts could get chewed on. However I think if there is always other food available I don't know if they would bother the torts. I would lock up nightly any that is possible.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Rats, gophers, moles?
Put some wire scrub pads in the holes. You can also spray mint around, they suppose to not like the mint smell.
Yes your torts could get chewed on. However I think if there is always other food available I don't know if they would bother the torts. I would lock up nightly any that is possible.
I have always put every one to bed as I do have wildlife that comes in the yard.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as they are locked up at night I don't think they will bother the torts. Not too many varmits run during the day.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Field mice build large colonies (the larger colonies can make large holes) and they live underground. You said you live next to a farm that would be perfect territory for field mice… rats, ground squirrels, gophers all also do this. Your tortoise/Turtles wouldn’t be in danger with most mice or gophers but it could be an issue with ground squirrels or rats as both are opportunistic feeders and will harm a tortoise in the right conditions.