Rate my enclosure

RedorGreen

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Hello everyone,

Recently had to bring my Russian inside because its too cold to leave outside now and decided to build vs buy an enclosure. Let me know what / where I can improve on.

Substrate:
  • straw pellets... Bad, I know...
    • I need to find a good, cheap source of orchid bark to make the switch to it. For now this should suffice.

Lighting:
  • Basking: I just use a plain LED flood light + a Reptizoo UV light (Link Here) inside a dual bulb light dome.
    • They're on for about 10 hours a day via a timer and the temperature beneath them is about 95 deg
  • General lighting: There's an overhead light pointing down at the enclose and there are also UV lights towards the back of the enclosure for growing its food.
    • temperature around the rest of the enclosure is around 70-75 degrees depending on the temperature of my house.
    • Nighttime temperature is also 70-75 degrees
Hide:
  • I just cut a plastic pot in half and put it in there. It never uses the hide, it just buries itself in a different spot each night. Even when it was outside it never used the several hides.
Food:
  • I found a mix at the grocery store that has collard, mustard and turnip greens and feed those every day for now.
  • I also started growing its food from seeds I bought here.
  • I also sprinkle a reptile multivitamin and minerals every few days on its food.
  • For water, I just used a shallow plant dish.
Pics:
A2D88048-53C9-4EF6-B438-4773119A7242.jpeg
0B0E769E-A02D-4188-88B5-C63165167C35.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
The uv coil bulb is no good there are way too many eye problems associated with them. Just try for regular outdoor times once or twice a week otherwise get a T5 uvb bulb and fixture. For substrate cypress mulch is a good option too just depends on availability. How cold does it get where you are? I forget that parts of NM do get actually winter ?

RedorGreen

Albuquerque, NM
The uv coil bulb is no good there are way too many eye problems associated with them. Just try for regular outdoor times once or twice a week otherwise get a T5 uvb bulb and fixture. For substrate cypress mulch is a good option too just depends on availability. How cold does it get where you are? I forget that parts of NM do get actually winter ?

In Taos, New Mexico

EllyMae

Shellman, GA
A top to the enclosure will help hold in humidity. In real estate its location, location, location. At tortoise forum it is Humidity, hydration, soaking, room, and to NEVER trust a pet store employee.

Also, I LOVE your lighted plant hanger/holders? Do you have a link if you bought them online?

RedorGreen

Albuquerque, NM
A top to the enclosure will help hold in humidity. In real estate its location, location, location. At tortoise forum it is Humidity, hydration, soaking, room, and to NEVER trust a pet store employee.

Also, I LOVE your lighted plant hanger/holders? Do you have a link if you bought them online?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FFG7WKP/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Some assembly required lol. If you do get these, put some super glue in the slots that they assemble with because they tend to fall apart without it.

Olivertort1

North Charleston SC
Hello everyone,

Recently had to bring my Russian inside because its too cold to leave outside now and decided to build vs buy an enclosure. Let me know what / where I can improve on.

Substrate:
  • straw pellets... Bad, I know...
    • I need to find a good, cheap source of orchid bark to make the switch to it. For now this should suffice.

Lighting:
  • Basking: I just use a plain LED flood light + a Reptizoo UV light (Link Here) inside a dual bulb light dome.
    • They're on for about 10 hours a day via a timer and the temperature beneath them is about 95 deg
  • General lighting: There's an overhead light pointing down at the enclose and there are also UV lights towards the back of the enclosure for growing its food.
    • temperature around the rest of the enclosure is around 70-75 degrees depending on the temperature of my house.
    • Nighttime temperature is also 70-75 degrees
Hide:
  • I just cut a plastic pot in half and put it in there. It never uses the hide, it just buries itself in a different spot each night. Even when it was outside it never used the several hides.
Food:
  • I found a mix at the grocery store that has collard, mustard and turnip greens and feed those every day for now.
  • I also started growing its food from seeds I bought here.
  • I also sprinkle a reptile multivitamin and minerals every few days on its food.
  • For water, I just used a shallow plant dish.
Pics:
View attachment 312027
View attachment 312028
Those sago palms are toxic, make sure he can’t reach any of the fronds