Rate my babys pyramiding!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rjhoop

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
84
Location (City and/or State)
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
Like the title says,be honest in what ya think he is about 18-20 weeks old and i wanna stop it before it gets any worse so what do ya think is it bad yet or what??Thanks
By the way Tom should be able to rate the last one!!!
 

Attachments

SnakeyeZ

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2011
Messages
800
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Could you describe your setup? If we know that, then I'm sure you'll have some of the greatest suggestions.
 

Neal

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
4,924
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
That's really not bad. If you keep him well hydrated and provide general good husbandry, by the time it's an adult he will likely be very smooth.
 

Jacob

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2011
Messages
3,147
Location (City and/or State)
California
not to Bad, you can fix this very easily,
Mine is the same size and has just a tad bit less pyramiding!
Keep him hydrated, and give him lots of real sun!
 

Rjhoop

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
84
Location (City and/or State)
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
Temps are good i have 75-80 in his sleep hut,100-110 in his basking spot 85 in a humid box and the rest of the cage is room temp.Mulch and coco substrate,water dish,spray 2-3 times daily soak 10-15 min every other or more,Dark leafy greens,kale dandolion all the good stuff vitamins calcium 3-4 times a week.PMd Tom earlier about humidity he said it was ok!!Im just curious i have nothing to compare it to except his smoothies and i get discouraged i asked if he had any 4-5 month old comparison pictures for good bad ugly etc...Thanks all
 

Attachments

TortieLuver

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2009
Messages
1,738
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I think your tortoise looks good and from your description, you are doing a great job trying to prevent pyramiding.
 

Jacob

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2011
Messages
3,147
Location (City and/or State)
California
Enclosures look good, the temps and everything is great!
Just keep soaking him, daily, and give him a great diet, and did
you mention anything about muzuria?
 

dmarcus

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2011
Messages
9,037
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I think your tortoise looks good just maintain your temps, humidity and a varied diet and all will be fine. Don't get discouraged every Sulcata will be different and as things go along you will figure out what works best in your torts case..
 

Rjhoop

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
84
Location (City and/or State)
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
Jacob said:
Enclosures look good, the temps and everything is great!
Just keep soaking him, daily, and give him a great diet, and did
you mention anything about muzuria?




I offered it to him twice he didn't bite I mixed with his greens and he ate them.I will offer 2-3 times a week.
 

dmarcus

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2011
Messages
9,037
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Rjhoop said:
Jacob said:
Enclosures look good, the temps and everything is great!
Just keep soaking him, daily, and give him a great diet, and did
you mention anything about muzuria?I offered it to him twice he didn't bite I mixed with his greens and he ate them.I will offer 2-3 times a week.
When you offered the Mazuri, was it dry or did you give it moist?
 

Rjhoop

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
84
Location (City and/or State)
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
dalano73 said:
Rjhoop said:
Jacob said:
Enclosures look good, the temps and everything is great!
Just keep soaking him, daily, and give him a great diet, and did
you mention anything about muzuria?I offered it to him twice he didn't bite I mixed with his greens and he ate them.I will offer 2-3 times a week.
When you offered the Mazuri, was it dry or did you give it moist?
moist and mushed up.
 

dmarcus

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2011
Messages
9,037
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Okay, I had to make mine moist for my hatchling and mix it with greens and once he got the taste of it, he now eats it without being mixed took about 2 weeks though...
 

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
50,435
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being no pyramiding whatsoever, and 10 being horribly disfigured, I'd rate your little man a 3. Prior to my current juveniles, and the "wet" routine, I never did any better than a 7 with leopards or sulcatas. I think you are in great shape.

One thing that seriously worries me is the "room temp" for the rest of the enclosure. Unless room temp is always 78-80, it could cause a problem with all that moisture. I think the humidity is great and all the moisture DOES help to prevent pyramiding, but you CANNOT let it get cool with all that wetness. I like to keep it 80 all the time everywhere in the cage and then give them a 100 degree basking spot for 12 hours a day. Be careful. Respiratory infections are a pain in the rear.
 

Rjhoop

Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2011
Messages
84
Location (City and/or State)
Western N.Y. on Lake Erie
Tom said:
On a scale of 1-10, 1 being no pyramiding whatsoever, and 10 being horribly disfigured, I'd rate your little man a 3. Prior to my current juveniles, and the "wet" routine, I never did any better than a 7 with leopards or sulcatas. I think you are in great shape.

One thing that seriously worries me is the "room temp" for the rest of the enclosure. Unless room temp is always 78-80, it could cause a problem with all that moisture. I think the humidity is great and all the moisture DOES help to prevent pyramiding, but you CANNOT let it get cool with all that wetness. I like to keep it 80 all the time everywhere in the cage and then give them a 100 degree basking spot for 12 hours a day. Be careful. Respiratory infections are a pain in the rear.
Ok thanks im working on upping the total enclosures heat,but with the burning in of new bulbs,setting thermostats,reostats 70 outside 1 day and snow the next its tough.I do realize i need to kick it up a bit, but i wasn't gonna lie and say its a constant 80 degrees.I am gonna go this week and get a CHE ta keep it at 80.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Posts

Top