Random…. But hear me out?

TaylorTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Abington
Just thinking everyone…
You know how the entire world is virtual via covid?
I was thinking, how cool would it be if we added a feature on here where anyone, moderators, good samaritans video on here live to give advice for tortoise care, newbies? If we could add this feature and maybe add a chat box where we can add our comments/ concerns and these live meetings can be hosted maybe once a week or whatever. Thought about it….. thought it sounded cool…. Brilliant ? but what do I know?

comment if you wish, make jokes, criticize whatever your little hearts desire =]

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just thinking everyone…
I was thinking, how cool would it be if we added a feature on here where anyone, moderators, good samaritans video on here live to give advice for tortoise care, newbies? If we could add this feature and maybe add a chat box where we can add our comments/ concerns and these live meetings can be hosted maybe once a week or whatever. Thought about it….. thought it sounded cool…. Brilliant ? but what do I know?

comment if you wish, make jokes, criticize whatever your little hearts desire =]

Yes, this has been talked about before. It’s a good idea, but hard to implement. People pop in & out all the time with info questions, advice. Lots of people are video’d out.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Some people get frustrated to wait for end results through a thread, so I thought hmm make it fast and convenient by attending the video. It’s there hosted for those interested in learning.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes, this has been talked about before. It’s a good idea, but hard to implement. People pop in & out all the time with info questions, advice. Lots of people are video’d out.
We have 3 time zones just in America.
We have members from all over the planet.
It would have to be well thought out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're talking live, as in i with the eye, my, guy, cry sound. Not live , as in i with the give, shiv, viv sound. One would have to have a camera that get onto the internet. My computer has windows 10, but it doesn't have a camera. I have Facetime on my Kindle but it's not satisfactory.

Sorry, I vote no!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Some people get frustrated to wait for end results through a thread, so I thought hmm make it fast and convenient by attending the video. It’s there hosted for those interested in learning.

People that get frustrated waiting for a thread to be answered will be fine waiting for a scheduled live stream? Those interested in learning, learn.

JoFisch

Platinum Tortoise Club
Washington
I think it is a good idea. I have watched/joined a lot of continuing education webinars the past year and a half. It sounds as if it would an added feature, not replacing the standard threads. The webinars could be available for members to watch on their own time if they miss the broadcast. You would need someone or multiple someone’s to organize it. I had to give lecture’s over ZOOM last year and it wasn’t too difficult to figure out. If you have enough members that want to give a talk on specific subjects, it could be a great addition to the forum.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I think Taylor's idea is excellent and appreciated. Anytime folks are coming up with ideas, it's a good thing whether the group chooses to do them or not.

I'm still just a fng but I would suggest a private Whatsapp call if a situation is thought to be critical. It's why we come here and make friends, we appreciate their knowledge! While I don't "know" most folks here, I'm confident that if I put out the request for a whatsapp call from ANY of the members here, I would be helped if not by them, someone they hooked me up with. To me, that's pretty cool!

For me, video is SLOW! People talk and interact far slower then our brains actually work so I generally don't seek information of any type via video, it's just too slow for me.

minimoo

Upstate NY (junction of VT/MA)
I think creating vids would be great and helpful, since we all learn in different ways. I know you can make the argument about being "video'd out", but I am an individual who is always busy at home, and appreciate that I can watch or listen to videos when I'm doing chores, and wouldn't have to be restricted by a fixed time for a webinar. Additionally, being able to see what you have been reading can help correct/catch any misinterpretations.

I would suggest creating "shorts"...a 1 - 5min video highlighting a particular topic. For example, using the caresheets that are recommended here, we could just highlight one topic: Proper enclosure, species - specific and/or general "did you know", spotlight on flood bulbs (haha), greens that are safe to feed, etc. Link the more detailed caresheets in the description.

When I was doing research before I got my tortoise, I came across things that I would never know to ask/search for: they 'shrug' to help them breathe, they duck their head in to help defecate...videos of that would be great so, that we can see what a 'normal' respiratory rate should be, for example. What is a "good" length for nails and beaks. Common illnesses. Videos of indoor/outdoor enclosures/night boxes in different climates...adult sizes of tortoises (compared to a soda can or some "universal" object". More 'personality' type videos: which tend to be more interactive, who are the escape artists, diggers/climbers', an antics video, holiday costumes, etc

Videos could be compiled over time to create a longer video as well.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think its a great idea, but I have no idea how to make something like that work.

I frequently talk on the phone with members when the explanation of something is more than I care to type. A five or ten minute conversation can save hours of typing for me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think its a great idea, but I have no idea how to make something like that work.

I frequently talk on the phone with members when the explanation of something is more than I care to type. A five or ten minute conversation can save hours of typing for me.
Somehow you all changed the original thought from having a LIVE chat online to making a video. If I understood correctly Taylor was suggesting there be a person on the Forum in real time, like with Skype, or something similar, where we could talk face to face and get our answers right now. Taylor??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Somehow you all changed the original thought from having a LIVE chat online to making a video. If I understood correctly Taylor was suggesting there be a person on the Forum in real time, like with Skype, or something similar, where we could talk face to face and get our answers right now. Taylor??
I do Zoom meetings for work all the time. I could do something like that for tortoises. It would be outside the forum, but we could plan and schedule it through the forum.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Just thinking everyone…

Sounds cool

TaylorTortoise

Abington
My idea was:
Using a zoom type video with live chat for comments for fast expedited information that can be addressed the days we have this zoom video live chat. My work uses Teams where you can get fast responses by video calls with live chats. Thought this would be useful for days on here like a Wednesday or Thursday. We can host a thread about it to attend it only if those who wish to attend or have immediate questions/concerns.

People can take notes based on the information we provide live, and I think it can be helpful as the live streams can demonstrate proper care, etc. instead of adding threads of such products thru hyperlinks we can show those right through the live stream.