Ramps for Large Tortoises

MountainFox

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Raleigh, NC
I’ve read many posts that mention ramps in torts’ enclosures, but I’ve only seen pics of ramps for little guys. As I imagine trying to add a ramp for my 10” redfoot, it seems like it would have to take up the entire enclosure! To get any height, the run would have to be quite long, and then there’s the falling hazard, so I’d need guard rails.... It gets out of control fast! I am considering building a large ramp along the length of one enclosure wall, and then using the the space underneath as a hide.

If you have a bigger tort, approx 8in/20cm or larger, and have a ramp in the enclosure, can you please share pics or describe the setup? What are the dimensions? How did you construct it?

Thank you!

Hugo's Home

5 Year Member
Chesnee, South Carolina
Maybe a pic your enclosure might help determine how big or what could be built in there.
Wait I have an idea!
Maybe you could make a ramp out of good plywood. Get one of those wood poles they use to hang clothes on in the closet. Cut it down to maybe 6 inch lengths. Then pre drill the holes in the plywood along the border maybe spaced 5 inches and pre drill the end of the poles. (All so you dont crack the poles or plywood)Attach the poles to the border of plywood with some screws and maybe some wood glue at every 5 inches. Boom there is your rail. More like bollards I guess, but should do the trick. (I would think). Then you could make a hide underneath. If the plywood is to slick for it to climb. Maybe cut the pole down to maybe a 1 cm or smaller thick round pieces and glue them on the surface to provide traction, similar to a cobble stone surface I guess.

Not sure if any of this would work but hey its an idea!

ClydeSheldon

Maine
I know this is an older thread, but I’m trying to figure out the same thing and wonder what you ended up doing? Or if anyone else has done this since the original question was posted? Thanks!!