Raised White Lines In Between Scutes

nachotheredfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Hyattsville
Hi,

I noticed these whitish lines on my redfoot tortoise a couple of months ago.
At first I thought it was growth lines but they have become more prominent and they look raised.
I got him 4 years ago from a pet shelter with the pyramiding you see in the pic(his previous owners kept him in a very small container and fed him mostly lettuce most of his life :mad:)
He lives in a 3 x 8 enclosure with coconut substrate. I try to spritz him occasionally and also keep the substrate moist. There is a porcelain heat emitter and a good amount of sun comes in through a window every day.
I was told he was 8 when I got him, so I didnt think he would still be growing. I am worried this is an infection of some kind. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!1587972179493.png

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
That's new growth.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks for the reply! Is it normal for torties that are 11+ years to have those lines?
I'm concerned that it may be MBD.
I'm not sure but it's definitely not Mbd. That's where new growth starts in between the scutes like that.

L

LasTortugasNinja

New growth happens on ALL reptiles... from babies to the 200+ year old Galapagos. it's like fingernails. The new growth doesn't always mean the animal is getting bigger, but as they age and natural wear and tear, they grow new material to replace the worn parts.

nachotheredfoot

Hyattsville
Thanks for the clarification! I had no idea!
Is it also normal for him to be sensitive in that area? when i brushed it gently or pressed my fingernail into the white lines, he did not like it at all and started wiggling and walking away.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Thanks for the clarification! I had no idea!
Is it also normal for him to be sensitive in that area? when i brushed it gently or pressed my fingernail into the white lines, he did not like it at all and started wiggling and walking away.
It probably hurt when you did that. Sometimes we see pictures of pink/red color there...owner is worried. But the pink is blood vessels supporting the new growth.

Until the keratin hardens, tender tissue is right under it.

L

LasTortugasNinja

It's sensitive. Like how a teenager's arms and legs are sensitive and sore when he/she is having a growth spurt.

nachotheredfoot

Hyattsville
It probably hurt when you did that. Sometimes we see pictures of pink/red color there...owner is worried. But the pink is blood vessels supporting the new growth.

Until the keratin hardens, tender tissue is right under it.

Gotcha. Thanks for the insight! Would you happen to know how long until his shell returns back to normal? At the moment it just looks like white gaps in between his scutes.