Rainforest Closed Chamber Build Thread

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Building an 8x4 closed chamber for the box turtles. I'll be posting progress here. So far finished with the framing.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478576818.660267.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478576899.967653.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478576921.070733.jpg

I had plans of putting a large aquarium on top but decided against which is why the 4x4s are missing in the last picture. I'll be making a separate stand instead. (Might end up being the Hamiltonii's new aquascape winter home.) I'm using a spare door as the front of the enclosure. Should hold in heat well since it is made with double pane glass. Tomorrow will plywood interior and insulate. I expect this to be the nicest of all previous enclosures by far.

Here are the future occupants.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478578061.320647.jpg

Lastly, a quote for tomorrow:

"In the American system of government, refusing to vote for the less-than-ideal is a vote for something much worse. Even when you don’t choose, you choose. But you can choose with your skepticism fully intact. You can choose in full awareness of the insufficiency of your options, without elevating those who would have us forget into prophets. You can choose and still push, demanding more."

- Ta-Nehisi Coates

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I like the re-purposing (the door). It's going to be a great place for box turtles. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Looking good, can't wait to see the end product. Are you going to be using any sort of rain/mist system in there?
Love the box turtles, they look awesome.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Looking good, can't wait to see the end product. Are you going to be using any sort of rain/mist system in there?
Love the box turtles, they look awesome.

Still not sure. I have a mistking lying around, but I don't think I'll need it with this setup. Heat and humidity will be held in really well. Thinking I'll just use a spray bottle for the plants. I might set it up for manual use though.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Still not sure. I have a mistking lying around, but I don't think I'll need it with this setup. Heat and humidity will be held in really well. Thinking I'll just use a spray bottle for the plants. I might set it up for manual use though.
I've never needed a misting system in my closed systems. I usually end up with 2 water dishes, the evaporation from those seem to keep everything just right. A quick spray of my torts every morning too.
What are they eating, my homeana hingebacks seem to have very very similar care to boxies.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Not sure about homeana care, but here is their diet:

Mazuri is the staple. Sometimes mix in mazuri's tortoise diet. They won't eat most fruits or veggies by themselves. All fruits and veggies have to be hidden. They seem to prefer red fruits(Strawberries, raspberries). I cut greens very finely or else they won't eat them. I don't feel greens are necessary at this age but I like to feed them. Occasionally add in some mushrooms. Red wigglers and pill bugs are in the substrate so they can eat them if they find them. I like to feed them a little bit everyday.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Not sure about homeana care, but here is their diet:

Mazuri is the staple. Sometimes mix in mazuri's tortoise diet. They won't eat most fruits or veggies by themselves. All fruits and veggies have to be hidden. They seem to prefer red fruits(Strawberries, raspberries). I cut greens very finely or else they won't eat them. I don't feel greens are necessary at this age but I like to feed them. Occasionally add in some mushrooms. Red wigglers and pill bugs are in the substrate so they can eat them if they find them. I like to feed them a little bit everyday.
Similar, fruit,mushrooms,worms,slugs,snails and pillbugs, the odd millepede too. I feed protein every other day. They like it very very wet too. Also they seem to be able tolerate very low temps, actually I think they prefer it in the low 70's.
I never saw boxies until I joined this forum, and out of all the species, box turtles take my fancy, well next to the spider Tortoise.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Similar, fruit,mushrooms,worms,slugs,snails and pillbugs, the odd millepede too. I feed protein every other day. They like it very very wet too. Also they seem to be able tolerate very low temps, actually I think they prefer it in the low 70's.
I never saw boxies until I joined this forum, and out of all the species, box turtles take my fancy, well next to the spider Tortoise.

I notice they're most active around similar temps. Low-mid 70s. They hibernate so they can handle cold weather. Rarely bask in full sun. Won't come out of hides unless there is ample shade. These are still young so things may change as they grow. Prefer very moist soil. I kept them in very wet conditions as hatchlings and they thrived.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
A lot of progress today. It is all insulated. I used R-13. Interior is plywood. I'm using leftover wood from some housework for the exterior. It has the look of old barn wood.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478652239.755418.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478652252.936804.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478652272.570796.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478652338.280943.jpg

The top is framed in apitong wood. The middle is that same barn wood.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478652463.728741.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478652475.816115.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478652495.284466.jpg

Next is sanding the interior and painting. I plan on painting the interior black and then sealing it with a nontoxic kitchen sealer. Then I'll get the door on and finish up the exterior.

Now it's time to watch the votes come in...

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Tiny progress. Half of the door and the door trim have been painted. Hopefully paint the inside tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478833073.529793.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478833226.042035.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478833243.296806.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1478833264.066555.jpg