Radiated shedding skin on forehead--help

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
hi i am kenzo from singapore..i had an india star Radiated Tortoise...while i was cleaning the box i discovered that the tortise was shedding the skin at the forehead...is it because of it lack of sunlight?? i fed him cucumber every time does it because that it lack of water??reply me asap..thankz [email protected]

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
RE: Quick question about Turtle

Shedding is normal for torts, especially when they are young and growing. Regular soaking helps, but don't pick at the skin...let nature run its course. I don't think it's from lack of sunlight, but he does need daily sun and/or a UVB bulb. That is necessary for a healthy tort. Cucumber is high in water. It is not a good food for a tort as a regular part of the diet. Greens, weeds, and similar are the best diet. What else do you feed him? Does he have daily access to a large dish to soak his entire body in? Can you give us more information? Welcome to the forum! PLease start a new thread if your question doesn't get attention. Best wishes.

Malaefic

5 Year Member
hi i am kenzo from singapore..i had an india star Radiated Tortoise...while i was cleaning the box i discovered that the tortise was shedding the skin at the forehead...is it because of it lack of sunlight?? i fed him cucumber every time does it because that it lack of water??reply me asap..thankz [email protected]

Err is it a Indian Star or is it a Radiated? They are 2 different tortoise and from different parts of the world.

Anyway light shedding is normal for growing torts unless it's excessive shedding which could be due to a skin infection.

Btw you should not feed it cucumber as the water content is too high.

RichardS

5 Year Member
Charleston, SC
Try a little drop of mineral oil on the head, just make sure to wipe up the excess. This will cure the dry skin look.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kenzo:

568895njiqm54ujq.gif
to the forum!!!

Does your tortoise look like this (first picture is a grown indian star tortoise, second picture is a baby indian star tortoise:

or does your tortoise look like this (first picture is a grown radiated tortoise and second is a baby radiated):

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RichardS said:
Yvonne, I think that last photo is a Pyxis.

That's what I get for taking the picture off a GOOGLE image search! I'll try to find a picture of a baby radiata. Thanks!

Ok all...replace the spider picture up above with this one for a baby radiated:

and hopefully I got this one correct!

Status
Not open for further replies.
TortoiseSupply.com