Radiated for a first time tort owner?? Insanity?

bethxyz

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania, USA
Would it be unreasonable / unwise to set my sights on a Radiated Tortoise as a first time tortoise owner? I'm an adult, financially able, plenty of space indoors and out :) I'm not looking to get any tortoise for several months until I feel that I've done the appropriate research. I live in Pennsylvania (moderate humidity, cold winters). I like the possibility of other medium sized torts, but keep coming back to the Radiated.

The way I see it, a Leopard or a Redfoot (also on my short list) require just as specialized care and similar investment with regards to set-up and housing.

So is it just applying for a CBW permit and purchasing a Radiated Tortoise unwise for a first time tortoise owner?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A radiated tortoise isn't any harder to care for or any more sensitive to poor care, however, here's how I look at it:

New tortoise keepers have a lot to learn. It takes quite a while to actually get the feel for caring for your new tortoise. When you spend $100 on a Russian tortoise, yes, he has gotten under your skin and you love him, and if he dies because of something you did or did not do for or to him, you'll feel devastated, however, you're only out $100.

If your new radiated tortoise dies because of something you did or did not do, you're out quite a bit more money.

I think it's best for new tortoise keepers to start with something a bit more reasonably priced and learn what it takes to keep that animal alive. Keep him long enough as an indoor pet to understand indoor-keeping. Keep him long enough outside to understand how to keep him alive outside.

Once you've got the basics learned and you feel comfortable with caring for a tortoise, save up your money and get your radiated tortoise. No one says you can't have more than one.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
A radiated tortoise isn't any harder to care for or any more sensitive to poor care, however, here's how I look at it:

New tortoise keepers have a lot to learn. It takes quite a while to actually get the feel for caring for your new tortoise. When you spend $100 on a Russian tortoise, yes, he has gotten under your skin and you love him, and if he dies because of something you did or did not do for or to him, you'll feel devastated, however, you're only out $100.

If your new radiated tortoise dies because of something you did or did not do, you're out quite a bit more money.

I think it's best for new tortoise keepers to start with something a bit more reasonably priced and learn what it takes to keep that animal alive. Keep him long enough as an indoor pet to understand indoor-keeping. Keep him long enough outside to understand how to keep him alive outside.

Once you've got the basics learned and you feel comfortable with caring for a tortoise, save up your money and get your radiated tortoise. No one says you can't have more than one.

These words from Yvonne are about as dead on as it gets. Sorta like a Toyota versus a Mercedes and learning to drive, no matter being an adult or a teenager, cut your teeth on a species that is not going to push on nerves associated with cost, the life/death nerves are the same.

That said, unless you already have a CBW permit for other species (you are in the system) getting a permit for radiateds without prior experience with tortoises or the CBW system might be a bit harder. Maybe not. Some of the people who sell radiateds are really good about coaching you through the process.

Please let us know what you do.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA

I couldn't agree more no more needs to be said

bethxyz

Pennsylvania, USA
I really appreciate the feedback... can't promise I won't still dream... but can promise to embark on tortoise ownership in the most responsible of ways :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If I were a radiated breeder, I'd sell you a radiated, but I'd really go over all the care and housing details with you first. I'd want you to set up your enclosure and dry run it for a while before I'd send you a baby. Then I'd keep in touch and make sure all was going well.

If you can find a radiated for sale in your state, you don't need a CBW permit.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
if you have plenty of experience in keeping other reptiles indoor, you should be fine.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
If money is not a concern, go for it. Sounds like you have thought this through. Get your set ups indoor and outdoor housing built. Purchase from a respected breeder so the youngsters or adults are healthy and well started. I keep Rads and Burmese Stars. My personal thinking was to raise rarer animals to help in conservation if asked. There is no tortoise even close in color or pattern to a Radiated Tortoise. I can recall exactly when I wanted them. It was 7 years ago. I was visiting Ray Ashton out at his biodiversity facility in Newberry, Fl. He had so many different species. When I saw a Radiated Tortoise the first time, I immediately said, I'm getting those!.
Now I have 7 adults and sub adults and a bunch of babies I'm raising up to be sold once they are big enough to sex. Hopefully in November. Awesome is the best word to describe them.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443044761.244541.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with Tom and deadheadvet. If you wait, and get something you really don't want that's less room and money for your Rad. Buy from a good breeder, like deadheadvet. Don't do an impulse buy with one so expensive. This is when you need to buy from someone that does it right and is there to help you through. You have now until Novemeber it sounds like to get your CWB permit, get things set up correctly, do a bunch of dry runs and hopefully in November deadheadvet will be able to ship you one or three:D

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
The CBW process will be easy enough so long as you go to someone that can work you through the process and provide source of progeny. With out this you will not be approved with out extensive back and forth prolonging the already 6 month plus wait. The basics of the application is for the biologist reviewing your permit to feel you have the proper understanding of care required for the species you apply for. Photos will be required of your setup(s) so this will be a place to start now if you go ahead with a CBW. No one really is denied, you just have to provide them with everything they need!

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
John is exactly correct. The process is easy if you are coached on the right buzz words. Conservation and genetic diversity. Photos of housing is a must.

kerogawa

radiated tortoise is a good choice.
they are hardy and worth your time to see them grow

good luck

8james8

5 Year Member
Alabama
I am thinking of making the same jump. I've raised everything from boxies and sliders to Sri lankan stars. I really love the coloring and I now live in an area where I can safely and responsibly use both indoor and outdoor housings. I am still between radiateds and stars, both offer some of the most amazing and different patterns. Now it's down to housings and permit application if needed; then the fun part of finding the pair I want.

To answer your question, it's not unreasonable if you prepare and have resources (sellers help and local professional - vet). It would help to have hands on with another species but it's not a show stopper.

Last edited: