Radiated Breeder in Oakland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
S. CA
Hello Fellow Shell Lovers :)

I was wondering if anyone here has ever purchased a radiated from a hobbyist in Oakland, CA, named Juan C. H. on his ads, but Jim on his e-mails? If so, your opinion please.

Thank you,
:tort:

conservation

10 Year Member!
I saw his add. From the pictures, the radiata look beautiful. He also has an add looking to buy Galapagos tortoises. Did you end up buying them?

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Im not sure if this is the same guy but I was in contact with a guy named Juan through email from Southern Calif. very close to where I live. Every time I wanted to meet up with him in peson he did not respond, he said he would ship the radiated from his work through UPS. Seemed sketchy to me but Im not sure this is the same guy. Im sure there is not to many guys named juan selling radiated tortoises. I know a couple solid radiated contacts

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
I did get a radiated and it came from Davis, California (near Sacramento). His name turned out to be James Liu - no idea why Juan was on an ad. He only ships FedEx not UPS. I was told the tortoise had a ride most of the way down here and was given to FedEx in Oxnard, California (about 45 minutes from my house). His communication was all through e-mail and was actually good. He kept it totally legal requiring proof I lived here in California - not just deliver it in California and I take off (I guess anyone could but I felt the proof of residency was good).

Long story short, the tortoise is stunning! Mattie has clear eyes and nares. She is walking around exploring everything in her pen. She will go off to our vet for a well-baby visit next week. So far so good.

So for people here who already keep radiated tortoises I would love any tips. Favorite healthy food, any temperatures I should pull the little one inside for (to the tortoise table) - too high too low. I have done a lot of reading, but nothing is as good as first hand experienced people.
Thank you :)

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
tortoiselady said:
I did get a radiated and it came from Davis, California (near Sacramento). His name turned out to be James Liu - no idea why Juan was on an ad. He only ships FedEx not UPS. I was told the tortoise had a ride most of the way down here and was given to FedEx in Oxnard, California (about 45 minutes from my house). His communication was all through e-mail and was actually good. He kept it totally legal requiring proof I lived here in California - not just deliver it in California and I take off (I guess anyone could but I felt the proof of residency was good).

Long story short, the tortoise is stunning! Mattie has clear eyes and nares. She is walking around exploring everything in her pen. She will go off to our vet for a well-baby visit next week. So far so good.

So for people here who already keep radiated tortoises I would love any tips. Favorite healthy food, any temperatures I should pull the little one inside for (to the tortoise table) - too high too low. I have done a lot of reading, but nothing is as good as first hand experienced people.

What…no pictures? Come on!

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
What…no pictures? Come on!
[/quote]

We intend to take photos all weekend. She was introduced at our meeting last night (CTTC Valley Chapter). I will post some in a day or two. I am sure in time I will have a massive scrapbook full like all the other children here. :tort:

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
If you have any other tortoises, keep this tortoise isolated for at least a month. I would strongly recommend have your vet send in a fecal or cloacal sample for INC to Univ. of Fla. I now screen every new animal before adding to my collection. To much risk. Mortality can be 100%.
You can read the thread in the advanced topic section on the subject for more detailed info.

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
deadheadvet said:
If you have any other tortoises, keep this tortoise isolated for at least a month. I would strongly recommend have your vet send in a fecal or cloacal sample for INC to Univ. of Fla. I now screen every new animal before adding to my collection. To much risk. Mortality can be 100%.
You can read the thread in the advanced topic section on the subject for more detailed info.

I actually do not intend for her to ever be mixed with other tortoises - I don't mix. I also quarantine for 3 to 6 months anything of the same specie before adding to the habitat. A fecal is a must for a well-baby visit.

I would love to know if there is a favorite treat food like with our other tortoises - rose pedals, cactus pads, etc...:tort:

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Not a fecal sample. Good idea as a rule. PCR for Intranuclear Coccididiosis. Can be run either on a fresh fecal sample or cloacal swab. Your vet has to do it.

Mine eat, cactus, spring mix, romaine, papaya, strawberries, mazuri tortoise diet, Marion tortoise diet,
Collards, turnip, mustard greens, Zoomed grassland diet, greenbeans, mushrooms, tomatoes.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
you gotta post pics, I feed mine alot of homegrown stuff, They love mushrooms, yellow squash, grape leaves, hibiscus flowers and leaves, A little bit of fruit on a rare occasion such as strawberry or apple, and lettuce. I also have Kale and other greens growing for them but I give them a huge variety so they dont eat the same thing. What is best for them is grazing on weeds and grass and this should be a huge part of their diet.I know this is not always possible. I do feed mine Mazuri about once every 10 days or so. Mine also get Miner-all and calcium powder. How big is your new tortoise, if he is real small I would suggest somewhat high humidity so he develops properly. The absolute best thing for them is REAL sun. So post a pic already:D

conservation

10 Year Member!
I would love to see some pictures!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using TortForum mobile app

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
Mattie and bunnies 006.JPGOkay, trying to upload a picture or two. Fingers crossed. She is 83mm. (she temp. sexed not guaranteed)

Last edited by a moderator:

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
He or she is very beautiful, An enclosure that can hold heat and humidity in would probably be best for a small tort like yours. He looks like he is developing nicely already

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
bigred said:
He or she is very beautiful, An enclosure that can hold heat and humidity in would probably be best for a small tort like yours. He looks like he is developing nicely already

We built a small 6 sq ft tortoise table that has one corner with a PowerSun bulb, opposite side in the center a walk in water bowl, far end a walk in hide. The bedding is 75% coconut coir and 25% organic soil. I keep it damp enough to clump together if you squeeze it but not enough to pour water out. I am growing fresh organic tortoise mixture seeds in a container to place in her indoor tortoise table for bad weather days (too cold / too hot). She has a 12 sq ft top secured pen on the grass outside with plenty of shade on one end and the other end sunshine. Two small walk in water bowls in the shade and two little hides to feel secure. The grass / weeds are chemical free and watered twice daily to keep good humidity levels and moisture.

Once she grows more she will get moved into the next pen that is 60 sq ft with the same idea continued and a lockable heated house/hide. The indoor tortoise table will be doubled but kept until a good 8 to 10 pounds. I won't have her sleep outside until then.

She is a doll and very friendly. We will look for a male once she is older and confirm her gender. For now we will just adore our baby.
:tort:

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
tortoiselady said:

Just a heads up for the owner and maybe put some minds at ease. I know a James Liu, he is in vet school now in the area this one was shipped from. He also works, not as much now being in school at the Behler center. The reason this was shipped FedEx most likely was I setup the Behler center with deep FedEx discounts on shipping and shipping live animals. So I would suspect these animals were well cared for or James would not help with the shipping/sale and have his name on them. Other then that I have no direct knowledge of these exact animals or any other details of this sale. Just saying having James Liu name on it is not a bad thing.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
tortoiselady said:
Pets101 said:
Enjoy her!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using TortForum mobile app

I can't stop watching her. It is like I am mesmerized.
:)

If you are anything like me you will be getting another sooner than you think:D take lots of pics because they change constantly. My first radiated was 2 inches and now about 6 1/2 inches and quite a transformation has happend and lots of new colors

tortoiselady

5 Year Member
S. CA
Just a heads up for the owner and maybe put some minds at ease. I know a James Liu, he is in vet school now in the area this one was shipped from. He also works, not as much now being in school at the Behler center. The reason this was shipped FedEx most likely was I setup the Behler center with deep FedEx discounts on shipping and shipping live animals. So I would suspect these animals were well cared for or James would not help with the shipping/sale and have his name on them. Other then that I have no direct knowledge of these exact animals or any other details of this sale. Just saying having James Liu name on it is not a bad thing.
[/quote]

I have to agree now that I did do this. I would do it again and I would get another tortoise from him. I was thrown off by the two different names with e-mails and the ad. I also had a feeling he was in school as he mentioned he was at school stuck in a meeting. I hope he has or has contacts with a different group of radiates so there is different family lines. I really will buy from him again and suggest others do the same if they want a healthy animal that is shockingly beautiful. Oh, best tortoise/turtle packing job I have ever seen too. I am not a fan of shipping them, but when I opened her box up I was impressed with the proper packing too. No corners cut on this little girl.

Hearing he gets to work at Behler is a major plus. Their vet, Paul, was consulted on my aldabra, and he was wonderful and I am gratetful. My friends have an invite there as they have some animals in their program and I hope to get the opportunity to see firsthand the amazing work they do.

Thank you for answering the first question that started this conversation. :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.