Radiated advice.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I'm considering getting 3 radiated torts. These could be hatchlings to yearlings, younger the better for me. It's early days yet and it will me months before I actually get some, if it happens.
Obviously I have a lot to learn and need to get educated with this species.
Can someone give me the low down on basic care please. Diet and enclosure set up would be a good start. I was thinking of starting them off in a 3x6ft vivarium type enclosure. What sort of humidity and temp levels are required.

Also what should I look for when picking 3 out of a bunch of babies?

Thanks.

Craig.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I'm considering getting 3 radiated torts. These could be hatchlings to yearlings, younger the better for me. It's early days yet and it will me months before I actually get some, if it happens.
Obviously I have a lot to learn and need to get educated with this species.
Can someone give me the low down on basic care please. Diet and enclosure set up would be a good start. I was thinking of starting them off in a 3x6ft vivarium type enclosure. What sort of humidity and temp levels are required.

Also what should I look for when picking 3 out of a bunch of babies?

Thanks.

Craig.

I have been keeping and breeding Radiated Tortoises since the 1960's. Send me your email address and I will send you some of my care info.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I have been keeping and breeding Radiated Tortoises since the 1960's. Send me your email address and I will send you some of my care info.
I can't pm you for some reason. Thank you, this is much appreciated and I look forward to the read.

my email.

[email protected].

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I didn't realise that Madagascar had so much rainfall, care seems very similar to redfootso_O

Below is an annual weather graph of Toliara, which is in the southwest of Madagascar.

From this I am assuming that hatchings rise from November to March when precipitation, temps and humidity are at the highest.
Annual average air humidity is 62%, 52% to 71% being the extremes, average humidity from November to March being 66%. We can only assume that micro climates have higher humidity level where the hatchings to juveniles will be hiding than what the average air humidity is. temps average 89f from November to March, one would assume cooler in deep shade.

So from this I'm thinking a closed system enclosure. For heat I'm going to use a CHE(I wont be allowing my torts to have access to sit under the CHE) set so the cool end is 85f and warmer end is 90f. Humidity at 80 to 90% to imitate the micro climate. I wont be offering a basking spot until they are around 6" SCL, A UVB strip light for lighting and D3 will be supplied.
I'm also going to have an ambient night time low temperate, I'm thinking drop it to 70f, but I'll watch the actual night time temps over the next few weeks on my iphone weather app to try and get a more accurate understanding of night time lows and humidity levels.

Hides very dense in moist foliage will be offered.

Diet seems to be mainly weeds/greens/flowers with a bit of fruit mixed in.

I think I will add calcium D3 powder to the diet, with not feeding protein and offer cuttlebone 24/7.

Any thoughts, please speak up.

toliara-climate-graph.gif

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
One thing I have noticed about radiated, they do well with ambient temps, no 'hot spot'. The few I keep just get the ambient of the garage, low 70's to mid 90's no hot spot, and they are growing nice a smooth. I don't even use a radiant heat panel, when outside they seem to always find that place where the back 1/4 of the shell is in the sun, while the rest of their body is in the shade.

They have got to be one of the more personable tortoises as well.

Ked95

Sunderland
A
One thing I have noticed about radiated, they do well with ambient temps, no 'hot spot'. The few I keep just get the ambient of the garage, low 70's to mid 90's no hot spot, and they are growing nice a smooth. I don't even use a radiant heat panel, when outside they seem to always find that place where the back 1/4 of the shell is in the sun, while the rest of their body is in the shade.

They have got to be one of the more personable tortoises as well.

At the moment the basking spot hits around 32-35 degrees C and the cooler end is 25. Wasn’t sure whether the cool end was still too warm but sounds like it’s fine (sorry don’t know conversions off the top of my head )

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The first thing I did was find the source for the chart. I had not seen this before, it's excellent. Thanks Craig. :)

I didn't realise that Madagascar had so much rainfall, care seems very similar to redfootso_O

Below is an annual weather graph of Toliara, which is in the southwest of Madagascar.

From this I am assuming that hatchings rise from November to March when precipitation, temps and humidity are at the highest.
Annual average air humidity is 62%, 52% to 71% being the extremes, average humidity from November to March being 66%. We can only assume that micro climates have higher humidity level where the hatchings to juveniles will be hiding than what the average air humidity is. temps average 89f from November to March, one would assume cooler in deep shade.

So from this I'm thinking a closed system enclosure. For heat I'm going to use a CHE(I wont be allowing my torts to have access to sit under the CHE) set so the cool end is 85f and warmer end is 90f. Humidity at 80 to 90% to imitate the micro climate. I wont be offering a basking spot until they are around 6" SCL, A UVB strip light for lighting and D3 will be supplied.
I'm also going to have an ambient night time low temperate, I'm thinking drop it to 70f, but I'll watch the actual night time temps over the next few weeks on my iphone weather app to try and get a more accurate understanding of night time lows and humidity levels.

Hides very dense in moist foliage will be offered.

Diet seems to be mainly weeds/greens/flowers with a bit of fruit mixed in.

I think I will add calcium D3 powder to the diet, with not feeding protein and offer cuttlebone 24/7.

Any thoughts, please speak up.

View attachment 223124