Radiata Max Weight - Your Experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

the-moof

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Edinburgh
Hey guys,

I've just joined the forums, but that is only really temporary. I am not a tortoise breeder, nor do I have intentions of becoming one. I begin this thread to ask for your help. Here's the deal:

Myself and a team of five other researchers are going to Madagascar on July 13th to conduct research in the Mandrare River valley, a day's drive north-west of Fort Dauphin. My own research is investigating the affect of anthropomorphic changes to the environment (disturbance) on reptilian species and demographic composition. However, another member of my team is going to be studying the status of the Astrochelys radiata populations in the region, because it is up for submission as a Unesco protected landscape in a few years, and if we have a healthy population of tortoises, that would definitely add to the kick of the report.

So I need some input from you guys. We are at the stage where we need to be buying scales for weighing. I know that the heaviest herps I will be measuring will be boas, which get up to 20 kilograms or so, but I wanted to know what the heaviest A. radiata you guys have ever come across was? Also the average weight of mature adults in your experience? This will be my third research expedition to Madagascar, and the first focussed exclusively on tortoises (all four species - saw three Angonoka in the wild!), but unfortunately we no longer have the data gathered on that expedition.

I really appreciate any input you guys can give me. With so many breeders and keepers, I hope I can get a good idea of what I need with me. Also, the more accurate the weight, the better. This is science, after all.

Cheers,
Mark

SILVERSTAR

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
sacramento california
WOW THATS COOL! i dont own radiatas but you came to the right place i think theres quite a few radiata owners on this forum.

samstar

5 Year Member
Radiated's can weigh up to 30 pounds when fully grown, it would be nice if you could take photos on your expedition to post here. Best of luck!

samstar

5 Year Member
Well someone just posted in the shelled warriors forum that they can grow up to 20kgs.

Status
Not open for further replies.