Rachel and Abner brought me a Present

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
This afternoon both pups were at the back door barking up a storm. This is what they were trying to tell me what they found.Picture 018.jpgIt was unharmed but scared to the dead possum mode. A neighbor contacted a possum rescue and messaged me that she was going to the store to pick up what they said this little one neededfood wise.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Len, you keep finding the scraggly orphans! He's one blessed possum that all your pups did was bark, and especially that it was YOUR backyard!

Let us know what you name him. ?
I don't know which one, but one of them carried it to the back door. As for a name i haven't even checked to see if I can sex it. I'm going to post a thread later about a sulcata that is coming back to me that I gave away several years ago and I'm going to change it's name. I think you will like it.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Awww, s/he is so cute. Thank you for taking care of him instead of what too many would do, kill them?
I sure hope he does okay.
I know what you mean. People just don't understand possums and the benefits of having them around. A few years ago there were 2 wild adults that I fed nightly for over a year. When the food didn't dissapere after a time I stopped putting it out. Haven't seen any sign of any possums until today. I'm glad they are,the tick population will decrease.

Len B

10 Year Member!
She is doing fine. I named her April and she still lives in the kitchen. In about a month I will start working with her, Rachel and Abner outside so they will accept her as just another animal that is welcome here even outside.Picture 009.jpg Rocket won't bother her without any further training, he is the almost perfect puppy and has been beneficial in teaching the new pups manners. Also the pups have brought new life back to Rocket since his sister Seven died.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I have been trying to trap feral cats and remove them from my vicinity, and I trap by accident possums. I used to have so many rats I saw them in the daytime. So every time I got a possum I'd release it by the tort shed. Pretty soon they were living under the tort shed and over time the rats, mice and voles were a lot less. Possums eat them I guess, but I don't see them much any more...

Len B

10 Year Member!
I have been trying to trap feral cats and remove them from my vicinity, and I trap by accident possums. I used to have so many rats I saw them in the daytime. So every time I got a possum I'd release it by the tort shed. Pretty soon they were living under the tort shed and over time the rats, mice and voles were a lot less. Possums eat them I guess, but I don't see them much any more...
Possums are welcome here anytime. The only thing they did is when I had a pair of ducks they would sometimes steal an egg. Other than that they have never bothered anything else, not even the hatchling box turtles.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Rachel surprised me today with a hatchling box turtle.Picture 008.jpgPicture 010.jpgI was out back taking care of some things and i had stopped walking across the yard to give Abner a scratch and Rachel came close about 3 feet away and she dropped something. She just stood their staring at me. I reached down to see what it was and it was a little box turtle. I've been working with both pups not to bother any turtles or tortoises that are out there, even the water turtles with great success. But nothing as small as a hatchling. As far as I know they have never injured a tortoise or turtle. At first meetings they would stand back and bark up a fit at the turtle but now they pay them no attention at all. It would be nice to have another pup like Rocket, time will tell.