Raccoon attack

PatrickSD

Hi all,

About 3 weeks ago, we had the dreaded raccoon attack that everyone warns you about don't think will happen to you. We now lock up our Redfoots every night.

In any case, our male Redfoot was the one attacked. When we found him, he was flipped over and had a little blood around his tail. Otherwise, there were no other visible marks. We cleaned his tail with hydrogen peroxide.

Our issue is that he now seems to be a different tortoise. He used to spend lots of time outdoors and eat whenever we fed him. Now, he spends all his time in the hide box. We have to take him out of the hide for him to eat and he sometimes doesn't eat at all. I noticed his droppings is wet and loose but not quite diarrhea.

I figured he would return to normal after a little while, but that hasn't been the case. Could there be some issue with him? Like an infection of some sort? Any advice on what to do?

Thanks all.

Patrick

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sweet Home Chicago
That's really scary - attacked by raccoons. I wouldn't hesitate to get him to a Vet. It could be so many things, possibly he was injured where you couldn't see.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
How awful.
I know nothing about raccoons, but I do have experience of a tortoise being traumatized by a wound.
She took months to get over it, physically and psychologically.
She's fine, now, an outgoing, confident girl.
But I too would go the vet in case an infection has occurred.

Last edited:

edwardbo

5 Year Member
We had a raccoon thread a couple of weeks back ,check it out ......Patric ,I do notice a difference in behavior when they "sense" that it's not so safe out in the pen. My torts sort of monitor my visitations ,some follow me around hoping I'll dig a few worms or turn a clump of soil over for their inspection ,if raccoons have visited they stay shy and protected .the problem will get worse .check out that thread . If I was tech savy I would add a link.....best of luck.