R. tort making squeak noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

wosman

5 Year Member
Hello everyone

My tortoise generally never makes a sound other than the common 'hiss' from when he pulls his head in. However, he has for awhile (1-2 months?) been making a very short squeak noise. Like a really loud swallowing noise that sounds a tiny bit like donald duck

donald duck sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgDS6gM7w-w

My first job is to find a replacement to his substrate which is play sand.
I've tried adding cococoir but he ate that and became..depressed.
I tried some top soil but that was a no go as well.

I'm not sure what is causing him to make these noises. He eats great, no discharge from nose or eyes, shell looks good, gets a solid soaking.
Temps: 32 degrees warm end, 25 cool end.

Any help is appreciated
Thanks!

Kerryann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Bloomfield MI
My marginated squeaks. I rushed him to the vet and did the follow ups and he is fine. He just squeaks. His environment is the same as my Russian's who doesn't squeak. It hasn't developed into RI. I'd like to know too because it still worries me. :(

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
We get this question all the time. Turtles can intentionally make a croaking/quacking sound by triturating, or rubbing their upper and lower beaks together. I don't think it's known exactly why they do it. It seems that sometimes they do it after a meal to clean their beak, and other times when they're bedded down, perhaps as a form of communication. In any case, it's perfectly normal and quite common for them to make this sound. I've kept several three-toed box turtles, a redfoot tortoise, and now two Russian tortoises, and they have all frequently made this sound. It's quite natural.

wosman

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
We get this question all the time. Turtles can intentionally make a croaking/quacking sound by triturating, or rubbing their upper and lower beaks together. I don't think it's known exactly why they do it. It seems that sometimes they do it after a meal to clean their beak, and other times when they're bedded down, perhaps as a form of communication. In any case, it's perfectly normal and quite common for them to make this sound. I've kept several three-toed box turtles, a redfoot tortoise, and now two Russian tortoises, and they have all frequently made this sound. It's quite natural.

thank you so much.

I noticed it looked like he was swallowing or moving his beak whenever he made the sound. so i'm glad you mentioned the beak thing.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.