Quick question on egg laying

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
So my new surprise possibly gravid female will need a suitable place to lay if need be.
I've been researching, and finding advice to add a pile of "dirt" in her pen to do the deed.
The ground here is very hard, and I want to help her along.
Is there a specific type of dirt to use? To avoid?
Should I just dump in some potting soil???

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I did this. My leopard dug some place else. They pick the spot. My leopard seems to prefer a dry solid area. Best of luck.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Lol. Ok. I just wanted make sure not to use something "unsuitable". If she chooses the hard ground, hey, more power to her! But I'm stuck in an unexpected situation here, trying to do my best and don't want to screw it up.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
An egg bound rescue was my start too. Unfortunately mine required surgery. She is an egg laying machine now though. She laid outside in the dries hottest spot in her enclosure in Aug and Sept. Each month since she has laud inside. The 3rd n 4th clutches she dropped, unhappy with the nesting area. It is just coco coir. After making it bigger and deeper to no avail, I stopped adding much water. She dug and laid there 3 times now. My next move was to change the dirt. So glad didn't have to. From those I have talked to, they each seem to have their own preferences. Anything organic is probably suitable. Worth noting perhaps, Scarlett chose a very sandy area outside. A clay sand mix in that part of my yard.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Wow. Thanks! I don't want her to become egg bound. I had that happen with a Panther Chameleon once and it was a nightmare!
I don't know if you are familiar with the story, but I was not expecting a gravid tort, just a female tort. I had no idea they will lay monthly! I just wanted to get her out of the situation she was in.
It is what it is. And I'll do my best by her.
Also, any pointers you can give me are welcome! I used to breed as a means of sole income, but that was pre-9/11. It's been awhile since I've dealt with eggs. Mainly do mammals at this time, as a hobby. So I am out of practice! And have never had to "dig eggs up". I mainly did Burmese Pythons and a few lizards...
Tia!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Fortunately they know what to do. I soak my female every few days to make extra sure she is hydrated. They urinate in the hole to soften the dirt. I soak her the day after she lays too. Extra calcium and cuttle bone available. Scarlett was not able to lay her eggs because a few were broken, and some were not calcified. She was kept in a bathtub for a couple of months before I got her.
Your girl should be fine. Fortunately nothing happens fast with these guys, so you have plenty of time to figure it out and adjust. Just keep an eye on her, and watch for the pacing, then the digging to begin. Scarlett has a very predictable routine. It has been a great learning journey. I currently have 13 hatchlings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So my new surprise possibly gravid female will need a suitable place to lay if need be.
I've been researching, and finding advice to add a pile of "dirt" in her pen to do the deed.
The ground here is very hard, and I want to help her along.
Is there a specific type of dirt to use? To avoid?
Should I just dump in some potting soil???

What sort of enclosure is the tortoise in?

I was assuming it was an outdoor enclosure since you are in TX. Is it indoors?

If it is outdoors, the tortoise will find its on spot to dig and lay. Just give it as much room as you can and a variety of places to choose from.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA

I think I confused the thread. It is outside. Sorry about that.
The original question was adding dirt because the existing ground is hard. Would one kind of dirt be better than another?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That posted weird. I have not seen that before. Looks like you said the whole thing, and I didn't actually respond. I am on a role. Maybe I should just go back to work.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx

If it is outdoors, the tortoise will find its on spot to dig and lay. Just give it as much room as you can and a variety of places to choose from.
Yes. Outdoors. She's in Tanks old enclosure. If you remember it. With a little "night/hide" house. The ground is very hard.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457030544.165778.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1457030557.936053.jpg
I had just been reading up on things and saw several suggestions to add plenty of extra soft soil to make it easier for her? Just wasn't sure if that was a good idea or what to use.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Fortunately they know what to do. I soak my female every few days to make extra sure she is hydrated. They urinate in the hole to soften the dirt. I soak her the day after she lays too. Extra calcium and cuttle bone available. Scarlett was not able to lay her eggs because a few were broken, and some were not calcified. She was kept in a bathtub for a couple of months before I got her.
Your girl should be fine. Fortunately nothing happens fast with these guys, so you have plenty of time to figure it out and adjust. Just keep an eye on her, and watch for the pacing, then the digging to begin. Scarlett has a very predictable routine. It has been a great learning journey. I currently have 13 hatchlings.

That's great! She was "digging" a bit last evening but it looked more like she was just "bedding down" and deciding not to use the house.
You'll have to help me out with what to do to get the eggs out! lol. I know there's no hurry, but the info online and even in books is extremely inconsistent. I always get my best advice here!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That's great! She was "digging" a bit last evening but it looked more like she was just "bedding down" and deciding not to use the house.
You'll have to help me out with what to do to get the eggs out! lol. I know there's no hurry, but the info online and even in books is extremely inconsistent. I always get my best advice here!
Lol. It is kind of tricky. I once was able to sneak under her and get them before she covered them. Had to put in rocks though, because they move them into a pocket of the hole. I use only my hands to dig them up. Too scared I will break one with a shovel. They always seem to be just off of where I expect them to be.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't worry about hard ground. The female urinates while she's digging with her back legs, and eventually the hole gets quite muddy (and soft).

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can take a shovel or a pick and soften up the ground in a few areas around the perimeter, but there should be no need to add a pile of dirt in an outside enclosure.