Questions..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xLilliax

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North of GR, Michigan
Can you sit on a full grown Aldabra tort? Just wondering lol. They're so massive. Im not saying Imma go sit on one, but I was just looking at some forum photos and I was like "Man, you could ride those things" which then sparked the idea of sitting on one.
Lol :3 thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm amazed at the strength in tortoises' legs. My Dudley, 100lb sulcata and 20 years old, can walk with me sitting on his back (I weigh 140lb). I don't do it for any length of time, I just wanted to see if I could hold him down....I can't.

My two 11 year old Aldabran tortoises are still young and slightly calcium-deprived, so I didn't want to test out their bones just yet. But I'd be willing to bet that they can hold me.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Yes...although I agree its not a good idea...in older times people used to think this was very "cool" to do...you can sadly ifnd lots of YouTube videos of tortoise riding.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I could be remembering this wrong but I swear when i was younger the Philadelphia zoo gave Galapagos rides...this was when i was probably 5 or 6 so we are talking maybe 1990? Does anyone else know about this or am I imagining this happened?

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
I'm only like 90lbs, so a full grown giant tort can definitely hold me. But it is stressful to them.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
The answer is yes, large healthy males are best. Never females.

15559j4.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Me too. That was always the highlight of my visits to the SD zoo. The keepers would supervise and some torts liked to stretch out for a neck scratch and others you could sit on for pictures or a ride. I even got to hand feed them sometimes. LOVED that. The torts did not mind one bit. In fact they would approach the crowd willingly and could walk away and retreat to the rear of the enclosure to be left a lone anytime they wanted.

... maybe that's where this INSANE obsession started!

Status
Not open for further replies.