Questions While Researching For Manourias

beakylauren

Location (City and/or State)
Tx
Hello y’all!!

I am from Houston, TX and my family and I are looking to get some beautiful manourias! Yay!

But I’ve been doing research all day for the past few days and still have so many questions I’m having difficulties finding the answer to.
For now I’ll just ask a few basic questions I have:

For 3 adult mee/meps what is the minimum outdoor enclosure size AND shed size?
We have a beautiful forested area where we will build their enclosure, and we want to make it bigger than the recommended size but I cannot find what that would actually be! Even though there might not be an exact “minimum,” in your definitely more educated opinions than mine ? what would you recommend?
For the “minimum size” of the shed, would the outdoor enclosure “minimum” size include the heated shed? In short, what would you recommend for enclosure & shed sizes ?

During the super hot, super cold, or thunder stormy days, should I still let the tortoises have an option to go outside, or should I keep them inside the shed? If I keep them inside for that day, or week (if the weather is bad for a whole week) would I need to include a linear uvb in the shed as well because they didn’t get sun those days?

Sometimes it’ll get 105F, would that mean I also would need to install a cooler or something similar in the insulated shed, or would the insulation keep it cool enough. Would I turn off the heater on hot days?

Thank you all for the help on this awesome forum! I have so many little picky questions?, but I just want to make sure everything is great for the beautiful tortoises! ☀️?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I would plan like you have sulcata. So I would do at least a 8x4 heat box. If your talking about temp housing during long stints at least 10x10. MT tortoise do well with rain love water and humidity and shade. Theh also tolerate cool pretty well but I always make sure to have a heater hide for them. Also on cool days if sunny their black shells really help them warm up and seen my guys basking in the 50s. Someone se probably can help out. I only keep 5 of them.

Kyle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello y’all!!

I am from Houston, TX and my family and I are looking to get some beautiful manourias! Yay!

But I’ve been doing research all day for the past few days and still have so many questions I’m having difficulties finding the answer to.
For now I’ll just ask a few basic questions I have:

For 3 adult mee/meps what is the minimum outdoor enclosure size AND shed size?
We have a beautiful forested area where we will build their enclosure, and we want to make it bigger than the recommended size but I cannot find what that would actually be! Even though there might not be an exact “minimum,” in your definitely more educated opinions than mine ? what would you recommend?
For the “minimum size” of the shed, would the outdoor enclosure “minimum” size include the heated shed? In short, what would you recommend for enclosure & shed sizes ?

During the super hot, super cold, or thunder stormy days, should I still let the tortoises have an option to go outside, or should I keep them inside the shed? If I keep them inside for that day, or week (if the weather is bad for a whole week) would I need to include a linear uvb in the shed as well because they didn’t get sun those days?

Sometimes it’ll get 105F, would that mean I also would need to install a cooler or something similar in the insulated shed, or would the insulation keep it cool enough. Would I turn off the heater on hot days?

Thank you all for the help on this awesome forum! I have so many little picky questions?, but I just want to make sure everything is great for the beautiful tortoises! ☀?
There is no scientific study to determine enclosure size. Its based on personal preference and speculation. I think we can all agree that an 8 foot square would be too small for three large tortoises. On the other hand, I don't think a full acre would be too big, but certainly not "necessary". I'd say a single should be fine in 50x50'. So three in 150x50'. Smaller than that won't do any harm, and larger than that would be even better. Make sure to incorporate trees and bushes into the enclosure for shade.

I don't think this species can handle 105. That is one reason I don't have them. @Yvonne G What say you. Can they survive 105 with misters and sprinklers and heavy shade?

I don't like sheds for tortoises. Even large torts are only 12 inches tall so in a normal 8' tall shed, you are heating 7 feet of air over the tortoise for no good reason. And heat rises, so how warm must the top couple of feet get to make sure the air at floor level is warm enough? Here is my style of tortoise box for a climate similar to yours:

They can go months with no UV. No need to install UV just for winter cold spells.

beakylauren

Tx
I would plan like you have sulcata. So I would do at least a 8x4 heat box. If your talking about temp housing during long stints at least 10x10. MT tortoise do well with rain love water and humidity and shade. Theh also tolerate cool pretty well but I always make sure to have a heater hide for them. Also on cool days if sunny their black shells really help them warm up and seen my guys basking in the 50s. Someone se probably can help out. I only keep 5 of them.

Kyle
Thank you! This is awesome info! ?☀️

beakylauren

Tx
There is no scientific study to determine enclosure size. Its based on personal preference and speculation. I think we can all agree that an 8 foot square would be too small for three large tortoises. On the other hand, I don't think a full acre would be too big, but certainly not "necessary". I'd say a single should be fine in 50x50'. So three in 150x50'. Smaller than that won't do any harm, and larger than that would be even better. Make sure to incorporate trees and bushes into the enclosure for shade.

I don't think this species can handle 105. That is one reason I don't have them. @Yvonne G What say you. Can they survive 105 with misters and sprinklers and heavy shade?

I don't like sheds for tortoises. Even large torts are only 12 inches tall so in a normal 8' tall shed, you are heating 7 feet of air over the tortoise for no good reason. And heat rises, so how warm must the top couple of feet get to make sure the air at floor level is warm enough? Here is my style of tortoise box for a climate similar to yours:

They can go months with no UV. No need to install UV just for winter cold spells.
Thank you for all this!! I totally agree about the “no specific enclosure size,” plus every animal is different with how much space they actually use and how much they move around.
I love the night box! My brother and dad will have an easier time building that than practically a giant house haha!
We’re from zone 9 and we have high humidity + we live right next to a lake, but every once in a while outside temps in Houston will get 103-105, which is worrisome for this species. With a long water wallow and giant trees and shrubs for shade I wonder if that’s enough to cool them. ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for all this!! I totally agree about the “no specific enclosure size,” plus every animal is different with how much space they actually use and how much they move around.
I love the night box! My brother and dad will have an easier time building that than practically a giant house haha!
We’re from zone 9 and we have high humidity + we live right next to a lake, but every once in a while outside temps in Houston will get 103-105, which is worrisome for this species. With a long water wallow and giant trees and shrubs for shade I wonder if that’s enough to cool them. ?
I'm a huge fan of this species, but I feel my climate is too unsuitable for them. Yours sounds ideal. I think the mud wallows, lots of shade, sprinklers and misters will get them through those hot summer days. It gets 105 at Yvonne's place in summer, and hers do okay. @Yvonne G , can you share some of your tips to beat the summer heat?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
It gets pretty warm where im at and my guys do pretty well. I mean we only break 100 for a few days out of the years and just last week we got near 100 and the tortoises were out. I use to chat with a guy name vic morgan maybe about 10 years ago, that's where my MTs are from and he always told me to have layered shade and cover, first layer use trees, than a 2nd layer like shrubs and bushes and than hides throughout.. he is in FL where on average its hotter than where I'm at but I follow it and seems to work well. I also put down soil and moss blend to help hold moisture and bunch of leaves and stuff on top of that. I use sprinklers as well and also have a few water dishes they can all fully walk into. The enclosure had plenty of sunny areas and sunny spots where they bask and grab sun. Also has tons if shade. It's interesting because when it was 97 degrees in my backyard and neighborhood, at tortoise level in the enclosure it was in the 80s much cooler. Next time it heats up I'll get another measurement, but you can feel the different. Its def doable to keep them in hot weather, but just like any species it takes a good enclosure.

Kyle

beakylauren

Tx
I'm a huge fan of this species, but I feel my climate is too unsuitable for them. Yours sounds ideal. I think the mud wallows, lots of shade, sprinklers and misters will get them through those hot summer days. It gets 105 at Yvonne's place in summer, and hers do okay. @Yvonne G , can you share some of your tips to beat the summer heat?
It gets pretty warm where im at and my guys do pretty well. I mean we only break 100 for a few days out of the years and just last week we got near 100 and the tortoises were out. I use to chat with a guy name vic morgan maybe about 10 years ago, that's where my MTs are from and he always told me to have layered shade and cover, first layer use trees, than a 2nd layer like shrubs and bushes and than hides throughout.. he is in FL where on average its hotter than where I'm at but I follow it and seems to work well. I also put down soil and moss blend to help hold moisture and bunch of leaves and stuff on top of that. I use sprinklers as well and also have a few water dishes they can all fully walk into. The enclosure had plenty of sunny areas and sunny spots where they bask and grab sun. Also has tons if shade. It's interesting because when it was 97 degrees in my backyard and neighborhood, at tortoise level in the enclosure it was in the 80s much cooler. Next time it heats up I'll get another measurement, but you can feel the different. Its def doable to keep them in hot weather, but just like any species it takes a good enclosure.

Kyle
Thank you immensely!!! Y'all are very helpful!! ☀️