Questions regarding enclosure for my baby redfoot.

TFV

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi this is my first post, I've lurked around this forum for awhile and decided to join since I had some questions and were making me doubt my decisions a lot. Some info on my baby tort is that it is a Redfoot and around 3 months or so of age and I've had him for about a week. I live in the Central Valley of California and right now its still very warm but beginning to cool as fall approaches. I give my baby tort daily soakings for about 15-20 minutes in tub outside in half sun/shade around 12pm before it gets too hot. What I'm wondering is if this is enough sun light to exclude the need for UVB light if I do this every other day (or daily as I have been so far). Secondly many posts I've seen recommend not even using a UVA heat lamp and instead opting for CHE for the heat. I'm attaching some pictures of my current setup and was thinking of removing my heat lamp and replacing it with a 2nd CHE instead for heat control. During the day I use 5.5 heat lamp primarily for light since I dim it and for some heat. At night I have one CHE running but the ambient temp throughout the enclosure is only 78-79 which I would like to get higher actually. During the day my current setup is able to maintain 83-86 where the heat lamp is and around 79/80 where the large wooden box hide is. I added a enclosed hood to what originally was just an open tortoise table so the humidity is maintained 80-90 just fine, its just the temp and lights that worry me currently. The baby tort usually hides and sleeps in the large wooden box hide so my concern is raising its temp a little more asap. Any advise or suggestions is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210817_145309.jpg
    20210817_145309.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 20210817_150205.jpg
    20210817_150205.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • 20210817_150233.jpg
    20210817_150233.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20210817_150237.jpg
    20210817_150237.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
I don't keep RF but I'll tag Ed who does to help you, he will know for sure - @ZEROPILOT
and others will be along soon.
Have you looked for the caresheet in RF threads yet? That will also give you a lot of good advice.

TFV

California
Hi and welcome,
I don't keep RF but I'll tag Ed who does to help you, he will know for sure - @ZEROPILOT
and others will be along soon.
Have you looked for the caresheet in RF threads yet? That will also give you a lot of good advice.
Hey thanks so much, yes I have checked the RF threads and caresheets. I've taken them into consideration, but just want some specific tips on my particular setup and what I can remove/add. I tend to over think things especially if its new to me. I just want some more information and reassurance so I can keep from being paranoid, and possibly stressing out the little tort while he gets accustomed to his new home.