Questions on Russian tortoise care?

Dorothy L

Location (City and/or State)
Houston, Texas, United States of America
So, I’m getting a Russian tort in early November, I have most of the care down, but there are things I’m unsure of so I need to ask.
1. What substrate should I use that would be best for the Russian tort?
2. What is the ideal humidity level for a smooth shell and fast growth?
3. What should it’s main diet consist of?
4. I am recommended to keep an adult, as I am a novice, but I’ve desperately wanted to raise a baby animal, what do you guys suggest I get?
5. If I do get a baby, is there different needs for babies than adults?
Please answer, and thank you if you do!:D

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

1. Fine Grade orchid bark for an adult. For a baby I would use a combination of fine grade orchid bark and coco coir.

2. Humidity at around 50-70% should be fine.

3. There is a whole long list of good stuff I will try and repost it.

4. I have a baby and it hadn’t been hard to keep. As long as your heating and lighting is right you will be fine.

5. Babies Russians do not have majorly different care to an adult. The baby should be soaked daily for around 30
Min. I don’t use night heat for my baby as long as the temperature doesn’t drop below 65f it’s fine.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Thank you! I also forgot to mention, does anyone have an easy (and preferably cheap) way to make a top for the enclosure to keep in humidity and heat?

Depends on the enclosure you have. Mind sharing a picture?

And this caught my eye the other day. Looks relatively cheap and easy to make. (Sorry forgot the thread it was from; I only took a screenshot)

IMG_4834.jpg