Questions (new tortoise doesn't move much)

nnnoahhhhhhh

Location (City and/or State)
Keizer, Oregon
Hi! I’m Noah and I’m new here! I just got my female russian tortoise yesterday from a previous owner and I have a few questions.

Firstly, is it normal for her to not be active at all? When we got home last night, it was clear she was cold from the ride home so she immediately went to the hottest spot and burrowed before falling asleep around 9:30 pm. This morning, I woke her up around 10:30 because she hadn’t moved at all and I wanted to make sure she was okay. She then promptly burrowed again and didn’t move for six hours when I moved her again to make sure she would eat.

Secondly, how can you tell when they’re dehydrated? Earlier she pooped white which can be a sign of online dehydration. I tried soaking her after waking her for he second time, and she hated that. Because I don’t really have an appropriate soaking container yet, I let her just get out. I then made sure she ate and misted her with a spray bottle.

I’m mostly concerned about the lack of movement, but I also understand that she’s adjusting to a new environment so I don’t know how much to worry.

Anything is helpful, thank you!

Noah

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I’m Noah and I’m new here! I just got my female russian tortoise yesterday from a previous owner and I have a few questions.

Firstly, is it normal for her to not be active at all? When we got home last night, it was clear she was cold from the ride home so she immediately went to the hottest spot and burrowed before falling asleep around 9:30 pm. This morning, I woke her up around 10:30 because she hadn’t moved at all and I wanted to make sure she was okay. She then promptly burrowed again and didn’t move for six hours when I moved her again to make sure she would eat.

Secondly, how can you tell when they’re dehydrated? Earlier she pooped white which can be a sign of online dehydration. I tried soaking her after waking her for he second time, and she hated that. Because I don’t really have an appropriate soaking container yet, I let her just get out. I then made sure she ate and misted her with a spray bottle.

I’m mostly concerned about the lack of movement, but I also understand that she’s adjusting to a new environment so I don’t know how much to worry.

Anything is helpful, thank you!

Noah
Here is the current and correct care info. Most of what you find is plain wrong.

Sounds like the tortoise is not liking the change. That is pretty normal. It will take time for him to settle in and get comfortable.

Soaking is important during this time. Get a good soaking container and soak daily for a while.

San Diego
Hey Noah! Welcome to the forum!

I have a Russian also and that "white poop" is really just pee. Tortoises have a three-in-one hole called a cloaca where they poop, pee, and fornicate. I've had my Russian for about a month and she spends the majority of her time burrowed into the substrate. Even under her hide, she'll dig down and bury herself.

If you just leave food out she'll eat at her own pace. Tortoises don't readily adjust well to new enclosures. I rarely saw mine the first week I had her but would catch a glimpse every other day of her eating and the food would always disappear when I wasn't around.

Good luck with you new tort and welcome to the forum!