Questions for the experts

pparker

I just purchased a new 12'X20' w/ (8ft walls)unfinished cabin for my tortoises during the winter in Iowa, I have 4 Sulcatas and 4 Russians. The Sulcatas are the following:eek:ne 60-50 tortoise,one 40lb tortoise,one 3lb tortoise and one 1lb. The Russians are one male Russian Tortoise almost full grown,and one sub-male. The females are one is almost full grown and the other is a sub-female.

My questions are the following as I looking to build a terrarium enclosure on a large scale.

1.What would be the proper type of insulation? I purchased R-13 for the walls and R30 for the roof.
2. What would be the proper amperage,and wattage needed to properly run this enclosure and maintain the proper heat and light? (I have a 5000 btu infrared heater for the heat lights would be a UVA-250 Watt with a ballast, and 6-Megaray 160 watt Mercury Vapor)
3.What would be the proper type of wall to install in this enclosure? I was told to use FRP board that costs 24.00 a sheet as this would be the easiest and cleanest surface for the tortoises. I have been looking into using cement board and waterproofing it afterwards.
4.What do I need to use for proper drainage (poop and pee) on the floor as it is wood(pressure treated and sealed)?
5.What would be appropriate floor measurements for the sulcatas enclosure for future growth?

What is logical and cost effective for these questions, I am considering all answers and appreciate any input at this point..as there are is some confusion about proper requirements.

Thanks
Phil

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That sounds like a pretty nice little cabin. I can only speak from my own experience. I used 3/4" styrofoam that comes in 4'x8' sheets and I put it on the outside of the studs and on the inside of the studs. Then I covered the outside and the inside walls of the shed with 1/2" exterior plywood. I built my shed right on the ground with no flooring, but I put down cement stepping stones (masonry caps) on the floor and had the sand under them banked so it sort of sloped to the doorway. Then on top of that I used rubber horse stall mats.

In your situation, I would think that the type insulation you've bought would do fine. Quite a few of us use electric, oil-filled radiators to heat the air in the shed (deVilblis ?) then hanging spots or CHE (ceramic heat emitter) to have a heated basking spot. I also use pig blankets for the tortoises to sit on.

Your Russian tortoises can hibernate during the winter and should be in a space that stays between 40F and 50F.

I'd love to see your project as you're working on it. We really do admire pictorials!

pparker

Yvonne G said:
That sounds like a pretty nice little cabin. I can only speak from my own experience. I used 3/4" styrofoam that comes in 4'x8' sheets and I put it on the outside of the studs and on the inside of the studs. Then I covered the outside and the inside walls of the shed with 1/2" exterior plywood. I built my shed right on the ground with no flooring, but I put down cement stepping stones (masonry caps) on the floor and had the sand under them banked so it sort of sloped to the doorway. Then on top of that I used rubber horse stall mats.

In your situation, I would think that the type insulation you've bought would do fine. Quite a few of us use electric, oil-filled radiators to heat the air in the shed (deVilblis ?) then hanging spots or CHE (ceramic heat emitter) to have a heated basking spot. I also use pig blankets for the tortoises to sit on.

Your Russian tortoises can hibernate during the winter and should be in a space that stays between 40F and 50F.

I'd love to see your project as you're working on it. We really do admire pictorials!

Thanks Yvonne, I am going to post pics now for everyone to give me a better idea on the situation of what is proper for this enclosure, I am taking notes on what you just gave me to start with

Attachments

• P1080791.JPG
    P1080791.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
  • P1080793.JPG
    P1080793.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 46
  • P1080794.JPG
    P1080794.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 44
  • P1080795.JPG
    P1080795.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • P1080796.JPG
    P1080796.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
  • P1080809.JPG
    P1080809.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 30
  • P1080812.JPG
    P1080812.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 34
  • P1080818.JPG
    P1080818.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 36
  • P1080821.JPG
    P1080821.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 30
  • P1080825.JPG
    P1080825.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 28

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Another thing to consider is insulating the floor. A lot of cold will come up through the floor. You might want to consider building the floor up a couple inches so you can add some insulation to it.

pparker

Its actually on a set of skid pallets off the floor,forgot to mention that ..

Phil

jeffbens0n said:
Another thing to consider is insulating the floor. A lot of cold will come up through the floor. You might want to consider building the floor up a couple inches so you can add some insulation to it.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
You mean the shed is resting on pallets? If so, you will still want to insulate if you can. The floor is likely just 3/4 inch plywood I would guess? That doesn't give much insulation. I have my shed set up off the ground on 4x4s and a lot of cold comes through the floor. I raised my floor enclosure in the shed up a couple inches from the floor and it still is tough to keep warm. I really wish I had insulated the floor now before I built everything in the shed.

pparker

jeffbens0n said:
You mean the shed is resting on pallets? If so, you will still want to insulate if you can. The floor is likely just 3/4 inch plywood I would guess? That doesn't give much insulation. I have my shed set up off the ground on 4x4s and a lot of cold comes through the floor. I raised my floor enclosure in the shed up a couple inches from the floor and it still is tough to keep warm. I really wish I had insulated the floor now before I built everything in the shed.

Hi Jeff,

What would you recommend for insulation?