Questions about my one year old eastern box turtle

Smoky

Location (City and/or State)
virginia
Hi everyone,

I’m new here, and a new owner of an eastern box turtle. Her name is Smoky and she maybe more than a year..not sure how old was she when I first got her. Had her from last October till now. She woke up from hibernation since April and was weighing 19 grams. Till today she is 55 grams. She is kept in doors only.

My concern is whether she grows too fast or not? and should I not feeding her daily?(you can see joint growth between old sheep and new shell)

Here are some pictures of her and her habitat. Please give any advices your have.
Thx

7524847840_IMG_1596.jpg7527053280_IMG_1572.jpg7527066912_IMG_1550.jpg7527065568_IMG_1552.jpg7529065568_IMG_1567.jpg

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
View attachment 249734
thanks,here‘s a Smoky smile...
do you have any suggestion on improving her habitat?
I don’t have any box turtles so can’t really help you with that. Sorry. I know most species need more space. Start looking into building or buying something around 4’x8’. They love water so they’d like a shallow pool to enjoy.

Does she have an outdoor enclosure too?

Hopefully someone with box turtle experience will comment.

Smoky

virginia
I don’t have any box turtles so can’t really help you with that. Sorry. I know most species need more space. Start looking into building or buying something around 4’x8’. They love water so they’d like a shallow pool to enjoy.

Does she have an outdoor enclosure too?

Hopefully someone with box turtle experience will comment.

what is the measurement as 4*8?
Her pool is shallow and big enough for her to soak and wonder around for now.
No she doesnt have a outdoor enclosure,but I do consider buying a bigger one when she‘s bigger.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
what is the measurement as 4*8?
Her pool is shallow and big enough for her to soak and wonder around for now.
No she doesnt have a outdoor enclosure,but I do consider buying a bigger one when she‘s bigger.
Four feet by eight feet is the suggested smallest enclosure.
She really needs an outdoor enclosure. Do you have a spot outside for an enclosure?
I think the enclosure I have for my Russian would work well for your box turtle. Box Turtles love hiding under dead leaves. Maybe give her some safe ones for her to dig under. I’ve attached a pic of my Russian’s outdoor enclosure to give you an idea of an easy enclosure. I lined the bottom with welded wire to keep him from digging out.
I keep waiting for a box turtle expert to chime in.

Attachments

• A7CBAF03-E26D-40C4-9F70-E330E2DC2745.jpeg
    A7CBAF03-E26D-40C4-9F70-E330E2DC2745.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29

Smoky

virginia
She really needs an outdoor enclosure. Do you have a spot outside for an enclosure?
I think the enclosure I have for my Russian would work well for your box turtle. Box Turtles love hiding under dead leaves. Maybe give her some safe ones for her to dig under. I’ve attached a pic of my Russian’s outdoor enclosure to give you an idea of an easy enclosure. I lined the bottom with welded wire to keep him from digging out.

Smoky

virginia

She has places for her to dig down and hide right now. But I don't have the space to put in such a big enclosure at this moment…thanks for your suggestion I ll take it into consideration in the future..

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
She is not growing too fast. Sounds perfect to me. I would still be feeding daily. A 4 x 8 enclosure would be awesome but is not required for an adult box turtle. Something half that size, 4 x 4, would be great for an adult. The important thing is the proper temps and humidity.

Box turtles do love leaf litter. Long fibres moss and low growing plants would work also!

Smoky

virginia
She is not growing too fast. Sounds perfect to me. I would still be feeding daily. A 4 x 8 enclosure would be awesome but is not required for an adult box turtle. Something half that size, 4 x 4, would be great for an adult. The important thing is the proper temps and humidity.

Box turtles do love leaf litter. Long fibres moss and low growing plants would work also!

Thank you!
do you have recommendations about where to get leaf litter?

NickA

Mid Atlantic
I think your tank looks nice. Leaf litter is a good suggestion. I would recommend taking the turtle outside maybe once a day if weather allows you too. I have a baby and I’ll put him/ her in a shallow water tub to get some sun and a good soak and toss in a couple worms. Everyday feeding should be fine. Here’s a pik of mine soaking and eating a worm.

Attachments

• D6B77B09-47F6-4BA6-9E75-C767D391CBE5.jpeg
    D6B77B09-47F6-4BA6-9E75-C767D391CBE5.jpeg
    954.1 KB · Views: 28

Smoky

virginia
I think your tank looks nice. Leaf litter is a good suggestion. I would recommend taking the turtle outside maybe once a day if weather allows you too. I have a baby and I’ll put him/ her in a shallow water tub to get some sun and a good soak and toss in a couple worms. Everyday feeding should be fine. Here’s a pik of mine soaking and eating a worm.

By looking at your turtle baby I notice even yours is younger than mine, but the color is brighter. I do take Smoky out every other day to get some real sunshine ( the tank is close to windows and actually gets sunshine as well). But her shell color is not vibrating. Any ideas how to improve?

NickA

Mid Atlantic
Could just be genetics. Mine lives outside this summer. I will bring it in for the winter but next year it will most likely stay outside all year.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Smokey is perfect and I like your habitat! Feed everyday and keep the substrate a little wetter. Do you have a hygrometer in there so you can check the humidity levels?

Smoky

virginia
Smokey is perfect and I like your habitat! Feed everyday and keep the substrate a little wetter. Do you have a hygrometer in there so you can check the humidity levels?

Thanks!
I spray at least twice a day and if I feel the substrate is dry, I usually pull a bottle of water into it..I don’t have a hygrometer at this moment but it is on the way, I ordered already. But I always feel she is cold even I have the heat lamp on (have the room ac on around 75F).