Questions about claw length and 'smooth' skin on rear legs [Pictures attached]

OT1_

Location (City and/or State)
North East
Hi All,

This is Puck, my Russian Tortoise.

I'm a little concerned that his/her claws are getting a bit long.

I've also noticed recently that there is quite a lot of 'smooth' skin on his/her rear legs - this may be completely normal and I've just noticed it and it looks a little odd.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

IMG20210825110343 - Copy.jpg

IMG20210825110154 - Copy.jpg

IMG20210825110139 - Copy.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise looks perfectly fine, claws and all - an extra fine-looking example of a well taken care of Russian tortoise!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks good to me too.

I'd skip the spring mix in favor of foods with more fiber. If you must use grocery store greens add some dried leaves from Kapidolo farms, Herbal Hay from tortoisesupply.com, or soaked horse hay pellets to add nutrition, fiber, and variety.

More hard surfaces and digging in dirt would help keep the nails more trimmed.

OT1_

North East
Thanks guys, just something that has been on my mind, thanks for the reassurance.

Looks good to me too.

I'd skip the spring mix in favor of foods with more fiber. If you must use grocery store greens add some dried leaves from Kapidolo farms, Herbal Hay from tortoisesupply.com, or soaked horse hay pellets to add nutrition, fiber, and variety.

More hard surfaces and digging in dirt would help keep the nails more trimmed.

I know its not ideal, but I struggle with identifying suitable wild plants to feed here in North East England.
I usually feed a mix of Dandilion leaves and flowers, Broadleaf plantain and Ribwort, but yes, I also use Frisee, Radicchio and Lambs lettuce mix from the supermarket.

I also use Habistat Reptavite and Calcium with D3 on alternating days.

I have a jar of ZooMed Natural Grassland Tortoise Food and have tried dried Hibiscus (both always soaked and broken up before offering), but he/she has never been keen, and won't touch it.

Thanks again :)