Question on 1st redfoot and housing outdoors

SouthernRFT

Hello I have purchased my first tortoises. I have 3 CB 2015 redfoots, and after keeping them for a few weeks I decided I wanted a larger specimen. I constructed a 10'x10' enclosure outdoors 16" tall wood walls and one corner is covered for shade. I added 4" of cypress mulch and a glass flat pan for water buried level with the mulch in the shade. I then purchased an 8" female LTC import.

My main questions is there anyway to tame or make her less nervous around me. She tends to freeze when she sees me and I have to sit very still for her to continue grazing. I do not handle or touch her at all. She also is very inactive during the day I am thinking it may be too hot. I am in east central FL. She spends most of her time buried in the mulch under the shaded portion. I catch her out usually before sunset or after a good rain. Should I heavily plant the enclosure to allow more natural shade, or should I put a larger roof over most of the enclosure to increase activity? I find it difficult to feed her since I can't leave food out or it will go bad and protein sources will attract ants if not eaten fairly quickly. Since shes always buried should I remove her and place her in front of the food tray?

Please any advice would be helpful.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Most torts struggle to get used a new home. Some take weeks to adapt, others take months. I advise you to get into a fairly rigid routine with your tort, so she gets used to you and knows what to expect and when.

Use a timer to get the lights o at the ssme time each day.
Soak your tort for a good 20 minutes before she has warmed up properly. This will keep her hydrated and get her used to bejng handled.
Pop her back in her en losure with food and then walk away and leave her. Don't be tempted to stand and watch. Yor are big, scarey and intimidating at the moment. Without you, your tort is more likely to feel it is safe to explore.

Gradually you will be associated with the pleasurable arrival of food and your presence will be first tolerated and then welcomed :)

Turtlepete

South Florida
At this time of the year, your priority should be raising humidity and lowering temperature. This can be accomplished by many means, such as heavily planting with ferns and hibiscus. Hanging some 60% shade cloth over the majority of the enclosure would not be a bad idea either. These are crepuscular tortoises, meaning they are most active at sunset, so that behavior is usual. Especially as a WC animal. Simulating rain through a misting system or regular misting via hose has a huge effect behaviorally on these animals and is a fantastic way to entice them to eat.

Offer food daily, and in different methods. Try a chopped tortoise salad topped with some fruit and mazuri. If she has no reaction to this, try offering browse instead of a prepared meal. Many tortoises prefer to eat this way, especially during acclimation. Spread out some hibiscus leaves, romaine lettuce heads, other green leaves, squashes, fruit pieces, etc., in whole pieces. Do not allow her to sit in a corner for days on end. Remove her from wherever she is hiding every day after placing food in the enclosure, and then proceed to mist her with the hose for a good 10-15 minutes. This will promote activity and interest in food items.

Apart from the brief contact she has with you during routine maintenance, I wouldn't attempt to socialize her anymore then that. She will slowly become used to you over time, though likely always be timid to a degree.

Being that she is a WC animal, have you had a fecal done? Always a good idea to put them through a light deworming, though often better to wait until they are eating.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum.

Torts tend to take time to adapt, so don't panic.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435610551.990363.jpg Welcome! They take some time to become comfortable with their surroundings. Just be sure to provide hiding spots so that if she is in fact feeling uncomfortable, she can retreat to her hide. My reds tend to hide most the day until the heat lamp kicks on, or they smell food on their slate. But this is indoors.

Outdoors, they tend to hide a lot but I'll periodically put them directly in front of some food in the same location each day so they associate that spot with food. It's tough because outdoors they can eat everything whereas indoors there's a designated spot to eat.

SouthernRFT

All good information thank you. I have been leaving hibiscus flowers and mangos in the enclosure and she is certainly eating them at some point. It rained this afternoon and I put a mango out and placed her in front of it. She went in her shell and I left. looked out from the window 10 minutes later and she was tearing it up. I am going to start planting in the enclosure to make it more natural and shaded. Maybe the wide open area makes her feel less secure to explore even when its not so hot.

Would adding a male stress her out or can they live together? Anyone have any recommendations for larger redfoots for sale preferably captive bred.