question for snake lovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Just wondering if I need to worry about a 3-4ft Pine snake eating my dutch rabbit. And if anyone lives near the Green Bay area and would like a Pine snake - PLEASE COME AND TAKE IT AWAY!!!!!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I would say normally no, but I have seen black rat snakes kill rabbits that were to big for them to swallow.even had black rat snakes go thru the 1x2 wire eat a baby rabbit then unable to get back thru the wire.there are no pine snakes in my area. Len

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Probably not, but why not just move the rodent eater to a more uninhabited place and let him keep going about his very beneficial business. Its probably not legal to touch or move a native species, but I never let that stop me from doing the right thing.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I had my son pick him up with a shovel and carry him out to the gravel pit where there are lots of rock piles and things for him to live in but 2 days later he was back in the barn going toward my rabbit. When I moved the rabbit to my other garage I found the snake going that way. I HATE snakes so will not pick it up! Haven't found anyone else willing to pick it up eaither :D. This is a small Pine snake - only 3-4ft long, most find that to be a BIG snake... lol. I am trying to find someone who will pick it up and take it FAR away. I am not one to kill anything, just don't want to pick up hay and find him curled up in the pile, or have him get at my poor bunny. He seemed like he was determined to get to the rabbit. As for the mice and rat population my cat keeps them in check and I prefer the frogs and toads for bug control so he is not needed (or wanted) near the house and barn. :D

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Ugh a 3-4 foot snake?! So glad we don't have those around my house in IL!
Drive him somewhere else! Keep your poor bunny safe!

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
ChiKat said:
Ugh a 3-4 foot snake?! So glad we don't have those around my house in IL!
Drive him somewhere else! Keep your poor bunny safe!

I have many of those in my basement.

I don't think the snake would eat your rabbit. Seems to be a pretty small snake and assuming your rabbit is good size I don't think you need to worry.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
I definately wouldn't risk the bunny, having a loved bunny myself, I would say have your son scoop it into a pillow case tie the end drive far away and release it, I know probably illegal, blah blah blah (btw, I am in law enforcement, hehe) but keep the bunny safe and the snake alive :) good luck! Let us know how it turns out

Status
Not open for further replies.