Question for box turtle breeders

Cmv

Location (City and/or State)
Yuba City, California
I’ve been keeping box turtles for over a decade but just started breeding since last year. Last year one of my girls was gravid for a week before she laid her eggs. This year she’s gravid along with 2 of my other girls, but they’ve been holding eggs for over two weeks now. They still act normal besides the usual restlessness and digging of test holes but otherwise are all eating like little piggies so I’m not really worried as of yet. Is there a time frame where I should expect eggs, or rather is there a point where I should be concerned that they haven’t laid yet?

Corpus Christi, TX
Not an expert on the matter but I have kept EBTs for about the same length of time as you. In my experience, EBTs that have hibernated, lay in May but it could be early, middle, or late in the month so I'd let mother nature do her thing. If it were June and they hadn't laid, then I might begin being concerned.

Cmv

Yuba City, California
Not an expert on the matter but I have kept EBTs for about the same length of time as you. In my experience, EBTs that have hibernated, lay in May but it could be early, middle, or late in the month so I'd let mother nature do her thing. If it were June and they hadn't laid, then I might begin being concerned.
Fortunately two out of my three girls have laid now, but one of them laid without me knowing where the nest is. I’ll need to keep an eye out for babies here in a couple months or so. One was gravid for less than a week and the other was holding eggs for 3 weeks. The last one that still hasn’t laid eggs has been gravid for about a week and a half.

Cmv

Yuba City, California
How do you know it was gravid?
I take weights weekly and when I see a sudden spike in weight, I start feeling behind the legs for eggs. I don’t like eggs incubating naturally here because we have tons of ants and the spots where they like to lay are also spots they like to dig around during the hot summer days.

Reactions: Tom
Corpus Christi, TX
That's tough, since you don't know where she laid them so you cant cover that small area. Some years I can catch my female laying eggs if I watch her closely in the late afternoon all through the month of May but this is only successful about half the time. Their instincts are strong though and they typically choose a spot that is safe. As for the ants, about all you can do is spray around the enclosure and hope for the best or leave ant bait around the enclose (outside of it obviously). One other idea is build a lose-rise 3-sides 'chamber' and put it in the enclosure for the hatchlings. Nothing elaborate, just a 3-sides rectangle frame from 2x2's with a small piece of plywood for a top. The idea is that its too low for the adults to easily get in while the hatchlings can make it in. This keeps them safe till you can find them in August or September (check it daily). Place the chamber on firm ground or the adults will burrow down and get in there. If you have plenty of other loose soil areas, the adults likely wont try to get in their but the babies will as their natural instinct is to hide.

Cmv

Yuba City, California
Good news, all nests have been located and now one of my girls are preparing to lay again! With the eggs that have been laid, I had 7 total and only one was infertile. The rest have developing blood vessels and visible embryos when I candle them.

TurtleMom4

Columbus OH
Hi CMV,

Great news about your new turtle families! I am looking for a captive bred box turtle to be a family pet (my son wants to be a herpetologist, and we discussed starting with a native turtle species prior to getting anything exotic). Also I am very leery of getting one from anyplace that doesn’t let them roam or deals in “exotics” because we want to preserve and protect, not exploit.

Once your hatchlings are established, do you have any interest in selling one to be a pampered pet to a good home? Or do you know of any other quality breeders?

Thanks, and good luck!

Reactions: Cmv

Cmv

Yuba City, California
Hi CMV,

Great news about your new turtle families! I am looking for a captive bred box turtle to be a family pet (my son wants to be a herpetologist, and we discussed starting with a native turtle species prior to getting anything exotic). Also I am very leery of getting one from anyplace that doesn’t let them roam or deals in “exotics” because we want to preserve and protect, not exploit.

Once your hatchlings are established, do you have any interest in selling one to be a pampered pet to a good home? Or do you know of any other quality breeders?

Thanks, and good luck!
Absolutely! My hatchlings from last year are sold now, but the first eggs of this season are due to hatch towards the end of this month or early July. I like to head start my babies for 2 or 3 months before I’m comfortable shipping them so by this fall I’ll have some available.

Cmv

Yuba City, California
So my job opened back up and I’ve been crazy busy so I apologize for being absent, but as of today I have 13 fertile eggs sitting in the incubator. All of my girls have laid 2 clutches now. I’m soooo happy with the success I’ve had this breeding season. I’ve also added a breeding pair of ornates to my collection about a month ago so I’m very much excited for these new ones.

danmar26

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hi,
I also raise EBT's and am looking to diversify my stock. I too would be willing to buy a hatchling.
Thanks