Question for a Vet Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid-Missouri
Hey guys, so I graduated from my local high school on May 20th of 2012 and after graduating I decided to take a small breather from school for awhile to figure out what I wanted to do with my life. Well, I have made up my very hesitant mind and as such have decided that I want to become a Veterinary Technician. Only problem is that I don't know where to go to get my degree and I don't know how to afford it without taking out some major loans, which I am trying to avoid. I was hoping that perhaps someone on the tortoise forum would be a Veterinary Technician and could help me by telling me about their experiences in getting an education, give me any advice and recommend schools. I'd prefer to do online schooling and any college must be accredited by the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association). Before anyone disagrees with my decision to do online schooling you should know that I looked around and there are no actual campus' nearby that are accredited by the AVMA. That leaves either a fortune in gas money, which I can't afford, or online classes. I choose online classes lol. Preemptive thank you's for all replies!

(p.s. I have been looking at San Juan College and Cedar Valley College for the most part because they have better reviews and are relatively not as expensive.)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
The best start is to work at a vet. I got my RVA through working at the vet I had previously worked for years back. Its much faster and better experience too. Took about a year to get CVA and then another 2 years for the RVA.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Hello Mira, You could try to find a clinic that would teach you on the job, and bypass paying the cost of taking classes, My daughter in law started this way in 2005 and has benefited in many ways and has a very good job, Your not going to start off making top dollar but you will not have the expense of schooling.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I have been applying at veterinary offices and clinics near me but the few that I heard back from told me that they had hired someone else because they had more experience :( I can't get any experience if no one will hire me, so it just seems like college is my only other option....

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
mira_kaylee said:
schooling you should know that I looked around and there are no actual campus' nearby that are accredited by the AVMA. That leaves either a fortune in gas money, which I can't afford, or online classes. I choose online classes lol. Preemptive thank you's for all replies!

Why are you limiting yourself to only local colleges? I know the loans and grants my children have gotten more then pay for them to live either on campus or off campus housing. Saves on gas, gives you new experiences, and opens you up to more schools. I really can't imagine somebody being able to get god training in Vet tech online. Just seems such a hands on type job.

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
I have my own apartment with my boyfriend. His job, which pays our bills, is located locally lol.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
you can learn a lot by just working at a Vet clinic. even if its the front office. then you can work your way in back and assist. You may find out yuo dont like it and decide on something else as well. You can also learn a lot working at a Animal Shelter. They do a lot of medical stuff for the animals.
I know people who have been 'techs' for years// and know a lot, but never went to school and got certified. I think that can cause a clinic legal issues, not sure...

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hi Mira,
Sometimes you can luck out at vet's but usually unless you time it right they hate to hire completely non experienced. You are probably out straight,but if you offer to volunteer just a few hours a week, they can take that time to see what you have to offer. I have worked at many places, finally staying at one for 20 yrs and have found it is the easiest way to evaluate someone who has no experience. Then if they have no 'instinct' they are not committed to keep them on the payroll.
Employers will often allow people to come help, and I will say we have had some great kids become awesome technicians at our place. And they knew nothing!!! There is something to be said about pursuing the certification, but from past history the folks with hands on are a much more desirable hire.
I know time is probably the most precious commodity, but I will say it can also help you determine if that is what you really want.
Good Luck, it can be a very satisfying job,but you won't ever get vet's pay.
Nay

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Online college would be good for the terminology and the basic algebra, things that are not hands on in the first place. Nay suggests volunteering, and I would agree with this point of view. Frankly the volunteering is a two way street, many Vets are near impossible employers and so maybe you won't get yourself obligated to an income from someone with poor bedside manner for their employees.

Zoos and aquariums also receive volunteers as do some more established rescue, rehab places, those that are the ones that receive animals from local wildlife authorities (as a way to sperate the wheat from the shaft). If the local Fish and Wildlife will trust the rehab place it is a better looking credential on your resume, than someone known to take in more than they can accomodate.

There are also many natural history museums and reserves that have ample opportunity to receive volunteer help, which can be helpful to build experience, especially if they do some kinds of on site research. If it is a place with association to a college or university, you can get a way in to that school with good connections from that school while at the natural history center.

Course work often, not always, matriculates from one school to another, so even if you take 50% of your coursework at one school, and graduate from an accredited school with the other 50%, future employers only see where you graduated from, not where you took exact courses. Even if an employer seeks a course history, the new school's academic record will show that they accepted the coursework from the not-accredited school.

Get the academic from wherever you can that works for you and is cost effective for you.

Though it hardly fulfills the image of vet tech as a glamorous career consider a biopharmaceutical. Many offer tuition assistance, and the pay will so surpass most other places that receive Vet techs, you will be able to buy radiateds and float your boyfriend. Even places like Target, Ikea, Home Depot, CVS, WalMart all offer tuition assistance after you have worked there for a few months to a year.

Will

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I started out working as a receptionist for a Veterinarian. That's where you should start applying. Eventually I would have been able to transition to Vet Tech (like many of my co workers had done) but I decided to change directions in my career.
I liked working with animal behavior training more than helping in the vet world :)

My sister in law has her B.A. in animal science and works as a vet tech but she is taking some more specific courses at a local community college while she works her job. These classes are affordable for her. So maybe attend a community college for vet tech classes while working reception at a vet?

Good luck :)

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
@Will - You gave me many different paths to consider, thank you for your input :)

@Team Gomberg - Thank you for your advice, I am still looking for a veterinary office that is willing to hire me as a receptionist or assistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.