Question about caulking inside of EBT enclosure (indoor)

mkessinger

Location (City and/or State)
Heyworth, IL
I inherited a rescued male EBT about 4 years ago. He was approximately 8 or 9 years old at the time. About 3 1/2 years ago I built a plywood enclosure for him (22"x84") and painted the inside with what I thought was plenty of coats of semi-gloss paint. Clearly did not work to waterproof it adequately as strips of the plywood are now peeling up when he digs in his substrate. I've ignored it for a while but now that summer is here I have time to remove him to a temporary enclosure and fix the problem. I was originally planning to have some plexiglass cut to the size of the bottom of the enclosure, and then caulk the edges...but then I thought I might want the waterproofing to extend up the sides a bit to cut down on water damage to the sides (hasn't been much of an issue yet, but this is meant to be a semi-permanent solution and I don't want to have problems arise later). I don't want to provide a foothold for climbing either, so the plexiglass can't just stop 5" up the side. Then I looked at prices and now I am hoping for a cheaper alternative... LOL
My questions are:
Has anyone used vinyl (or plastic) wall panels (like you might use in a basement) to waterproof the inside of an enclosure? Any drawbacks? What kind of caulks, adhesives, sealants, etc. are safe to use inside the enclosure? Any advice for how to proceed? Thanks in advance!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Clear "aquarium" silicone sealant.
Put down a bead. Wipe it with a cloth and let it cure for 24 hours.
Itll be safe and by wiping it, there won't be any lumps for a tortoise to bite.
Plexiglass has different prices based on composition and width. It's not all very expensive.

mkessinger

Heyworth, IL
Clear "aquarium" silicone sealant.
Put down a bead. Wipe it with a cloth and let it cure for 24 hours.
Itll be safe and by wiping it, there won't be any lumps for a tortoise to bite.
Plexiglass has different prices based on composition and width. It's not all very expensive.
Thank you! I'll look around for cheaper versions of the plexiglass to see if I can go that route first. :)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thank you! I'll look around for cheaper versions of the plexiglass to see if I can go that route first. :)
Or repurposing something else. Cutting to fit as you need it.
I find LOTS of stuff at the FLEA MARKET that I repurpose into a whole different thing.

6strings

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Plastic liner such as pond liner is a better solution. First seal the seams with silicone as was suggested, then lay down pond liner. You can layer side pieces after that. Way easier and cheaper than acrylic panels.

mkessinger

Heyworth, IL
Plastic liner such as pond liner is a better solution. First seal the seams with silicone as was suggested, then lay down pond liner. You can layer side pieces after that. Way easier and cheaper than acrylic panels.
How would you suggest affixing the pond liner to the inside of the sides once it’s high enough? Use the sealant as glue? Staples? Just trying to wrap my head around using a flexible liner without creating pockets to trap water or places for water to get behind it...I know lots of people do it but I haven’t seen good images of the process or descriptions yet. Thanks everyone!

6strings

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
Multiple pieces draped over the sides, down onto the floor. Staples on the outside sides. Tape overlapping pieces with Gorilla sealant tape. Works quite well. Keep the really moist substrate more near the center and away from the corners as best you can.

Lastly, I think there is a YouTube video about making a wood aquarium. They used epoxy paint. Most epoxy paint I have found does not recommend use on wood because wood can flex and crack the finish. But people still do it, fine if you’re not flexing the wood. Epoxy paint cures non toxic.

mkessinger

Heyworth, IL
Multiple pieces draped over the sides, down onto the floor. Staples on the outside sides. Tape overlapping pieces with Gorilla sealant tape. Works quite well. Keep the really moist substrate more near the center and away from the corners as best you can.

Lastly, I think there is a YouTube video about making a wood aquarium. They used epoxy paint. Most epoxy paint I have found does not recommend use on wood because wood can flex and crack the finish. But people still do it, fine if you’re not flexing the wood. Epoxy paint cures non toxic.

Thank you!

gep0322

Platinum Tortoise Club
Birmingham, Alabama
I used this Marine Epoxy. Several coats.
Pro Marine 5:1 Boat Epoxy Kit – Our Total Penetrating 1 Gallon Fast Hardener – Marine Grade Epoxy Clear | It Repairs Wood, Aluminum, Paint, & Polyester Resin While Strengthening Fiberglass https://a.co/3uL4ldU
Get the fast setting harder.

Gerry