Question About Cable TV

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So, we get current programming from all the major networks to include ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, and PBS. Then we also get Maryland Public TV, and then a whole bunch of other programming.

For example Sunday night 60 Minutes is current regardless if on cable, or our digital antenna. Same show, same time, same everything.

But, if you want to watch every Chicago Cubs game, that won’t happen (unless they broadcast locally?)

We get both national and local channels.

Looks like Survivor is on CBS - yep, we would get it just like you. Same time, same CBS channel.

We do get other “old shows” on some of the channels, but hey, I like Hogan’s Heroes and MASH! and McHale’s Navy :)

What you could do is test it out. Go get yourself a digital antenna, disconnect your cable input, insert your antenna. Run a scan and see what you get. If you don’t get what you want, return it. The antennas are pretty cheap in the range of $20-25 dollars or so.

Hope that helps.
Thanks it sure does
But those old shows you like OMG, my hubby loves those too lol. I just dont get it. Must be a man thing lol

goReptiles

10 Year Member!
Cut cable many years back. You can get an antenna for the window that lets you get a lot of local channels. Depending on location, you can get more or less channels. You just have to play with placement. We have Netflix, and amazon prime. We had Hulu but didn’t use it enough, so I canceled it. We had slingTV for a while too, but canceled that. It’s a good one that is non-subscription so cancel and reinstate at any time.

wccmog10

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
It’s worth saying that the over the air channels you will get depends on where you live, and where the signals are being broadcast from. If you live in the city you will probably get tons of channels, if you live in a rural area, you won’t get as many channels. There are websites that will tell you the locations of broadcast towers, to help you point the antenna in the best direction. There are also different ranges for the antennas. Some are 20 miles, others are 70 or 100 miles. That mileage refers to how far a way a tower can be, and still get a signal.

I agree that it is confusing and a lot to take on, I was never able to figure all of it out. My wife and I tried, but we still have to have the internet, which means the bill is not $0.