Question About Cable TV

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I've bought a Roku attachment for my TV, and eventually I'll be getting Netflix too. I'm leaning towards dropping my Cable so I have one less bill to pay at the end of the month. BUT!!! There are still quite a few shows I like to watch on NBC, CBS and ABC. If I drop the Cable will I still be able to get those networks? I've tried unplugging the cable from the TV and all it shows then is snow.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I've bought a Roku attachment for my TV, and eventually I'll be getting Netflix too. I'm leaning towards dropping my Cable so I have one less bill to pay at the end of the month. BUT!!! There are still quite a few shows I like to watch on NBC, CBS and ABC. If I drop the Cable will I still be able to get those networks? I've tried unplugging the cable from the TV and all it shows then is snow.

How old is TV? If it has a built in digital tuner, you may only need an antenna. If it's older, you may need an antenna and a digital tuner also.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How old is TV? If it has a built in digital tuner, you may only need an antenna. If it's older, you may need an antenna and a digital tuner also.
I don't know. I'll have to dig back through old receipts to see when the solar guy splashed wet stucco on some of my circuit breakers and fried my old TV. Not a job for the feint of heart!

SPILL

Illinois
I don't have cable and got a Roku TV a few months ago. It had the apps for basic TV channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and CW) built in and free to activate if you registered the device. I'm not sure if the attachments work the same way though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't have cable and got a Roku TV a few months ago. It had the apps for basic TV channels (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX and CW) built in and free to activate if you registered the device. I'm not sure if the attachments work the same way though.
Ok, I'll look at my Roku booklet and see if I have that stuff. Right now, when I turn it on it has a button for Roku, Netflix, hulu and one other that I can't remember. In fact, thinking back, I believe what I have is Hulu, not Roku. I'm so confused!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yeah, it's Roku, but I watch shows off the Hulu button. But I'm still confused!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yeah, it's Roku, but I watch shows off the Hulu button. But I'm still confused!!!!
Your very brave to take this on. I too would love to get rid of my cable bill. But I dont understand all the different things like hulu, etc. I want too br able to watch my programs when they are on not cuz they have them recorded and I have no idea if or how it works.
One day I will be brave and look into them.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Check out Vudu on your RoKu. They have a ton of free movies and TV episodes. I love watching the old Rosanne episodes!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your very brave to take this on. I too would love to get rid of my cable bill. But I dont understand all the different things like hulu, etc. I want too br able to watch my programs when they are on not cuz they have them recorded and I have no idea if or how it works.
That's my problem too. I know that, for instance, NCIS is on at 8p on Tuesdays. So I make sure I'm availa ble to watch it at that tim e. I guess it just takes some getting used to.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Check out Vudu on your RoKu. They have a ton of free movies and TV episodes. I love watching the old Rosanne episodes!
I'm still learning. But thanks for the suggestion. Right now I'm on season 2, episode 7 of Heartland, on Hulu. I'm looking forward to getting Netflix so I can catch up on Lucifer. However, my grand daughter told me this is their last season. Boo!

SPILL

Illinois
If you've never tried them Hulu and Netflix have 30 day free trials.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
We pulled the plug on any / all cable service for TV broadcasts. All major networks, and PBS broadcast free digital signals...

This might help. All you need is a new digital antenna to receive (not rabbit ears).

Our “cable TV” bill is $0.00

Good luck!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We pulled the plug on any / all cable service for TV broadcasts. All major networks, and PBS broadcast free digital signals...

This might help. All you need is a new digital antenna to receive (not rabbit ears).

Our “cable TV” bill is $0.00

Good luck!
THANK YOU!!! This sounds like just what I was looking for. I'll have to watch it again later when I'm on the computer instead of the Kindle.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
THANK YOU!!! This sounds like just what I was looking for. I'll have to watch it again later when I'm on the computer instead of the Kindle.

Here’s a quick pix of our antenna. It’s inside, propped on our window sill, but doesnt need to be in or by a window. Just happens to be a good resting spot.

Small cable from the antenna to the TV. We get 20-25 channels or more. ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and a ton of others like MeTV, COZY TV.

E6FD0885-16A2-424A-B633-18D6F867C733.jpeg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Here’s a quick pix of our antenna. It’s inside, propped on our window sill, but doesnt need to be in or by a window. Just happens to be a good resting spot.

Small cable from the antenna to the TV. We get 20-25 channels or more. ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS and a ton of others like MeTV, COZY TV.

View attachment 274715
Are you getting the newest episodes or do you get only reruns?
Anyway to get sports channels? I watch every Chicago Cubs MLB game and couldn't do without.
Do you usually get all local channels?
I keep thinking I'm going to only get old TV sitcoms or reruns of the newer ones.
Like when Survivor is on, its another I don't miss. It's on Wednesdays at 7. Will I be able to watch in at that time and day?
Sorry for all the questions.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
So, we get current programming from all the major networks to include ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, and PBS. Then we also get Maryland Public TV, and then a whole bunch of other programming.

For example Sunday night 60 Minutes is current regardless if on cable, or our digital antenna. Same show, same time, same everything.

But, if you want to watch every Chicago Cubs game, that won’t happen (unless they broadcast locally?)

We get both national and local channels.

Looks like Survivor is on CBS - yep, we would get it just like you. Same time, same CBS channel.

We do get other “old shows” on some of the channels, but hey, I like Hogan’s Heroes and MASH! and McHale’s Navy :)

What you could do is test it out. Go get yourself a digital antenna, disconnect your cable input, insert your antenna. Run a scan and see what you get. If you don’t get what you want, return it. The antennas are pretty cheap in the range of $20-25 dollars or so.

Hope that helps.