Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 257

Ashliewood

5 Year Member
I'm sure a
More
Educated person on this subject will come along :)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
Yep, that's some pyramiding. Given that it's a young Hermann, and given the pyramiding pattern, it looks like it's due to low humidity levels. What is your substrate? Does he have a humid hide? Also, what is the diet?

ninu

5 Year Member
i use coco coir and the enclosure is outdoors with plenty of sun. i do not wet the substrate but i put water on a container. the humidity is between 60 to 70. i usually give the weeds and dandelions that i grow plus some pellets. i sprinkle some calcium once or twice a week. i give him bath 2 to 3 times a week. :(

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
ninu said:
i use coco coir and the enclosure is outdoors with plenty of sun. i do not wet the substrate but i put water on a container. the humidity is between 60 to 70. i usually give the weeds and dandelions that i grow plus some pellets. i sprinkle some calcium once or twice a week. i give him bath 2 to 3 times a week. :(

Not bad, but let's see if we can improve it. Baby tortoises need more moisture than adults. This is because they are growing faster, and their smaller bodies can dehydrate more easily. In nature, baby tortoises stay concealed most of the time, because they are easier targets for predators like wild canids. In addition, Hermann tortoises naturally come from wetter environments than most other Mediterranean tortoises (but not as wet as those of tropical forest tortoises). So, in captivity, we need to replicate the conditions in which they've evolved. It's great that your tortoise lives outdoors, but he does need a moist substrate of soil or coco coir that he can dig in to have a humid microclimate. An ambient humidity of 60-70 is good, but he needs to be able to cover himself with dirt and experience nearly 100% local humidity. Having plants in the environment is also helpful. Finally, you can also provide a humid hide. See any of the following threads on how to make and maintain one (it's not hard):

"Humid hide"
"Humid hide boxes"
"Humid hide?"
"Humid hide boxes II"
"Help, how do you make a humid hide?"
"Humid hide box"
"Humid hide temp"
"Humid hide"
"Heating a humid hide???"

ninu

5 Year Member
I appreciate your inputs and suggestions. Thank you!

I'll research more on the humid hide. I am also planning to get a misting system, esp summer is just right around the corner.

Does any one have an idea how to keep the water on the misting system warm?

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
small copper pipe? The sun will heat the metal and warm the water while it is sat in the pipe... or a black hose to attract the heat perhaps?

Vickie

5 Year Member
Joanne said:
small copper pipe? The sun will heat the metal and warm the water while it is sat in the pipe... or a black hose to attract the heat perhaps?

However, on either of those remember when sitting in the sun it might actually get to hot then. I know just are standard hose sitting out in warm weather the water can be almost untouchable when first coming out and then turns cold. Might be a bit of a shock on his system going from steaming hot to freezing cold. Not to mention you don't want to scorch him. ;)

BTW What a NICE looking Tortoise!

ninu said:
I appreciate your inputs and suggestions. Thank you!

I'll research more on the humid hide. I am also planning to get a misting system, esp summer is just right around the corner.

Does any one have an idea how to keep the water on the misting system warm?

I almost forgot to ask do you happen to have a small water garden? Your question actually gave me a rather good idea on mine. I know daily we actually add cold water to our 50 gallon pond....the water warms up however, not to hot to hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.