Pyramiding?

Frankie2021

Location (City and/or State)
Gibraltar ??
hello everyone, just wondering if you guys see any pyramiding in my Greek Spur-thighed tort. He feels abit bumpy but not sure if it’s pyramiding or not.

Attachments

• 73BC7DEF-2AFB-4B4F-880F-60F18774E915.jpeg
    73BC7DEF-2AFB-4B4F-880F-60F18774E915.jpeg
    769 KB · Views: 89

zovick

10 Year Member!
hello everyone, just wondering if you guys see any pyramiding in my Greek Spur-thighed tort. He feels abit bumpy but not sure if it’s pyramiding or not.
Yes, it is pyramiding. You will need to improve the conditions under which you are keeping the tortoise or it will get worse. Look up the care sheet on this forum for the species you have and follow the guidelines presented therein to improve your tortoise's care and reduce future pyramiding.

Frankie2021

Gibraltar ??
Yes, it is pyramiding. You will need to improve the conditions under which you are keeping the tortoise or it will get worse. Look up the care sheet on this forum for the species you have and follow the guidelines presented therein to improve your tortoise's care and reduce future pyramiding.
He’s a Greek spur thighed tortoise, do you see pyramiding? I’m not sure is why I asked

Frankie2021

Gibraltar ??
He’s only 7 months old so he could be growing, not necessarily pyramiding as such. Pyramiding is the raising of scutes during active growth periods in tortoises. As a tortoise grows normally each scute increases in size horizontally thus increasing the overall diameter of each scute and the size of the tortoise. During normal growth this scute enlargement will lead to smooth growth. <- read this online

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like pyramiding to me too. Can we please see a side view of the tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, he's pyramiding.

( "side view" means camera/phone is on the same level as the tortoise's feet. )

AgataP

Seattle, WA
No pyramiding the shell is smooth. Your tortoise has little “steps” on a shell. Not smooth even surface.

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Thank you I did buy him like this so I’m hoping that my husbandry is better than his previous owner

With a proper humidity and temperatures things can be controlled.
My tortoise is 8 months old. I see that for a day or two of his “squares” rises up but than fills in and I weigh him and I see he grew.
Actually I noticed a pattern with it. But there is no old growth new growth difference.

Please review the care sheet and ask questions.
Could you possibly post pictures of his enclosure?

How often do you soak him?

Frankie2021

Gibraltar ??
With a proper humidity and temperatures things can be controlled.
My tortoise is 8 months old. I see that for a day or two of his “squares” rises up but than fills in and I weigh him and I see he grew.
Actually I noticed a pattern with it. But there is no old growth new growth difference.

Please review the care sheet and ask questions.
Could you possibly post pictures of his enclosure?

How often do you soak him?
I thought it could be growth but wasn’t sure really, I soak him daily too

Attachments

• 38875696-5D55-4B14-ADF0-0CC0892916F0.jpeg
    38875696-5D55-4B14-ADF0-0CC0892916F0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • E1CB0CF3-A032-4954-A439-00B044792BB3.jpeg
    E1CB0CF3-A032-4954-A439-00B044792BB3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26

Frankie2021

Gibraltar ??
it’s abit bare for now but I’m going to be putting plants in, this was just before I got him, the bowl is always with water and I mist it all 3 times daily too

Frankie2021

Gibraltar ??
Ah I see you have an open top enclosure which means all the humidity escapes and it is hard to have a controlled environment (temperature and humidity wise).
Where I live it’s very humid, I live next to the sea and I check the humidity levels always at around 70/75%, should I put more humidity in? ?

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Where I live it’s very humid, I live next to the sea and I check the humidity levels always at around 70/75%, should I put more humidity in? ?

I know where Gibraltar ?? is ??
I would recommend to study the care sheet.
My tortoise enclosure humidity is in 80 and up.
I don’t know exact needs of your tortoise. Having a closed chamber gives you the ability to keep the temp and humidity stable and at high levels.

Frankie2021

Gibraltar ??
I know where Gibraltar ?? is ??
I would recommend to study the care sheet.
My tortoise enclosure humidity is in 80 and up.
I don’t know exact needs of your tortoise. Having a closed chamber gives you the ability to keep the temp and humidity stable and at high levels.
Oh ? I’ll have a read now and I’ll find a lid for his enclosure too thanks for your help ?