Pyramiding

Duran

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta
In late Feb of this year my Pops gave me a Red Foot he purchased at a reptile show. Long story she was under weight and very sick. Many vet bills later and with proper care she is doing great!

Now I would like to focus on her slight pyramiding (a year old). I don't want it to get worse. I keep her within the guidelines posted on this forum and take her outside for natural sunlight for about two hours a day, aside from her mercury vapor bulb, daily soaks, and humid enclosure (about 70ish on one end, give or take.), she eats a wide range of greens, -boiled eggs sometimes-earth worms(loves! 3 a week), fruit once a week,and Maurzi (sp?)I've read many theories but I'd like to hear from people who have raised healthy shelled tort's. There is so much info out there, it's all very conflicting at times and overwhelming. I really don't want her to look like Bowser from Mario Brothers. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431050682.269815.jpg

She's in good spirits and is very sweet!

Duran

Atlanta
And when I'm at work, I get my BF to take her out for a little backyard stroll! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431052160.031812.jpg

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
What is your enclosure like? Pyramiding has to do with humidity. What is the other side of the pens humidity, and how large is your enclosure? Is the enclosure enclosed? What do you do to keep it humid? Misting/fogger?

If you got her in Feb, then I think the pyramiding was caused by the ones you got her from - doesn't look that bad, my tortoise is super lumpy from her last owner. All you can really do now is prevent more from happening and to get the new growth smooth.

She's really beautiful, by the way. Love how she's poking her head up for the picture with your BF!

Duran

Atlanta
So here's the thing....I live in an attic which gets very hot and dry. I try to keep her humidity levels at 70/80 but when I get home it's down at 50. :(

The enclosure is a long low plastic tub, open. I've been planning on building out something but haven't had a chance to yet :( I guess if I do, it should be enclosed with vents, or leg props to hold open the top for circulation? What would be a good sized enclosure for something she can grow into? I'd love to move her outside for the spring/summer but worry about coyotes, crazy cats, and dogs-digging or busting through. I never leave her unattended but she's growing up so fast! Right before my eyes! When she's outside I feel like she's in college and I'm a crazy tortoise lady looking over her to make sure the wasps won't sting her.

No fogger, just me pouring water into her coco coir/moss/cypress and mixing it in with a tiny rake. I also mist with a spray bottle every time I walk by-just about.

Humidity and enclosure build out is def. something I need to do ASAP! She is more and more active since getting better.

I can't wait for her to grow up, I'll be so old when she's all sized up!

Thanks!

Duran

Atlanta
Do Red Foots climb or dig a lot? *When building outdoor enclosures*

And this is my dream indoor enclosure. I was thinking 4 feet by 8 feet.

Also, has anyone ever had someone build something like this out, what are usual labor costs?

Last edited:

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
So here's the thing....I live in an attic which gets very hot and dry. I try to keep her humidity levels at 70/80 but when I get home it's down at 50. :(

The enclosure is a long low plastic tub, open. I've been planning on building out something but haven't had a chance to yet :( I guess if I do, it should be enclosed with vents, or leg props to hold open the top for circulation? What would be a good sized enclosure for something she can grow into? I'd love to move her outside for the spring/summer but worry about coyotes, crazy cats, and dogs-digging or busting through. I never leave her unattended but she's growing up so fast! Right before my eyes! When she's outside I feel like she's in college and I'm a crazy tortoise lady looking over her to make sure the wasps won't sting her.

No fogger, just me pouring water into her coco coir/moss/cypress and mixing it in with a tiny rake. I also mist with a spray bottle every time I walk by-just about.

Humidity and enclosure build out is def. something I need to do ASAP! She is more and more active since getting better.

I can't wait for her to grow up, I'll be so old when she's all sized up!

Thanks!

I personally do not have much circulation in my enclosure, it's easier to control the temperature and humidity that way. There are little openings around where I put my lamps and everything else is closed off completely. To prevent mold you just need to make sure you don't have any exposed wood or substrate susceptible to mold.

I would suggest covering the plastic tub - if you have the cover to that, you can cut holes on the top for the lights. It will raise the humidity considerably. It's great you're looking to make a larger indoor enclosure, 4x8ft would be ideal.

For the outdoor enclosure, red's don't dig very much. In the wild they steal animal burrows that are already dug for them. They may dig into their substrate 1-2 inches but that's about it. If you were really worried about other animals in your yard, some people have made outdoor enclosures with mesh/wire over the top to keep predators out. I feel the same way when my tortoise is outside - I go out with her and watch her like a hawk, then double check her about 3-4 times for ticks...even though I know they're not really attracted to tortoises :p