Pyramiding on new tortoise?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks. I wrote to her and if she is okay with my sharing I asked if I can change the initial post to say it. We are writing online reviews and contacting the better business bureau
Good for you.

Chip's mom

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia
FYI...the pyramiding won't ever go away. However, you can stop it and prevent it from getting worse.
I am not an expert by any means, but some years ago the local wildlife rescue gave me a badly pyramided Sulcata tortoise that was found in the wilds of downtown Portland Oregon. That was abut 4 years ago...
this is Knobby I'm holding him with my left hand...
View attachment 316715
Knobby 2 yrs ago
View attachment 316716
This is now Mary Knobbins. I am very careful to make sure most of her environment is correct for her. Her new growth stays normal, she is healthy and very active. I am positive she does not have MBD along w/the pyramiding. I realize that you are showing a different species, but I just wanted to kinda show you that your Hermanni's new growth will be smooth, but the pyramiding won't go away. Plz stay and ask questions
View attachment 316717
Thank you so much for sharing. It is nice to hear that we can make a difference at this point, and that it doesn't automatically mean bone disease. We are certainly trying! Mary Knobbins is adorable!

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Thanks so much everyone for the feedback, I really appreciate it. We will do everything we can to make our surprise tortoise happy and healthy! The admin advised me to write a review of the place where we got him under Vendors and I will do that. I wish I had discovered this group sooner, but am very glad to have now!

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
I wrote a review about them under Vendor Reviews. So disturbing, looks like many others with this issue. I don't know how these people live with themselves.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Who sold you that tortoise thinking it was a Box Turtle? That shows sloppy work when shipping, total ignorance, or dishonesty. Post the name so other people will be informed and avoid that person/business.
Tortoise Town

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Avoid ever dealing with that "Breeder" again. You should also name them here too so others can avoid them.
I've posted many online reviews including here. Apparently this is not at all uncommon with Tortoise Town as the "breeder" (not really a breeder)