Pyramiding on new tortoise?

Chip's mom

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia
Hi All!

We ordered a box turtle from an online breeder. When it arrived we researched and determined it's a Hermann's tortoise! The breeder confirmed the mistake.

We love our Hermann's named Chip, but we are concerned about how he was cared for before arriving to us. We were able to sex him by his concave plastron and tail. I asked the breeder to send tortoise food since I'd spend around $100 on box turtle food (omnivores that eat dried crickets etc). Maybe because they didn't want to spend the money they said they feed their tortoises and turtles the same thing.

We noticed some possible pyramiding on his shell. After researching we're making sure he's hydrated and misting his enclosure many times a day, giving calcium and UV bulb. We're giving him a varied diet and will take him to the garden in spring. We have an enclosure for him to live during the day outside when it warms up. Anything else that we should do?

Thank you!

chip copy.jpegChip 3.jpeg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
That is fairly significant pyramidding for a hermanns, do you know how old it is, or how big is it, it is difficult to tell from the pics. You cant undo the pyramidding, just provide the right conditions going forward. Here is the care sheet, ask questions if you have them. Sounds like a terrible breeder, if that is even what they are.

The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
That is fairly significant pyramidding for a hermanns, do you know how old it is, or how big is it, it is difficult to tell from the pics. You cant undo the pyramidding, just provide the right conditions going forward. Here is the care sheet, ask questions if you have them. Sounds like a terrible breeder, if that is even what they are.

The Best Way To Raise Any Temperate Species Of Tortoise | Tortoise Forum

They have been fairly unresponsive. I think we're going to ask for a refund and write an online review. We did find them after a bunch of research so it's unfortunate. Is it likely to get much worse if we provide the right conditions? My kids really love him and it makes me angry that he could have health issues.

He is 4.5" long and about 4" wide. I asked here and people were guessing around 3 or older since we could identify is concave plastron and he has a long tail with a spike.

We have had him for 3 weeks. In happier news he is getting a lot of exercise, eating a variety of foods and seems gentle and not scared of us.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
There's not much you can do regarding the smoothness of the shell at this point. Depending on the type of Hermanns, it's nearly full grown. Unfortunately, the shell will basically look like this forever.

The link from Yossarian is the correct care, which also has food info. They need to be fed weeds, greens, flowers etc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All!

We ordered a box turtle from an online breeder. When it arrived we researched and determined it's a Hermann's tortoise! The breeder confirmed the mistake.

We love our Hermann's named Chip, but we are concerned about how he was cared for before arriving to us. We were able to sex him by his concave plastron and tail. I asked the breeder to send tortoise food since I'd spend around $100 on box turtle food (omnivores that eat dried crickets etc). Maybe because they didn't want to spend the money they said they feed their tortoises and turtles the same thing.

We noticed some possible pyramiding on his shell. After researching we're making sure he's hydrated and misting his enclosure many times a day, giving calcium and UV bulb. We're giving him a varied diet and will take him to the garden in spring. We have an enclosure for him to live during the day outside when it warms up. Anything else that we should do?

Thank you!
Please name this unscrupulous seller so that everyone reading can avoid them.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
They have been fairly unresponsive. I think we're going to ask for a refund and write an online review. We did find them after a bunch of research so it's unfortunate. Is it likely to get much worse if we provide the right conditions? My kids really love him and it makes me angry that he could have health issues.

He is 4.5" long and about 4" wide. I asked here and people were guessing around 3 or older since we could identify is concave plastron and he has a long tail with a spike.

We have had him for 3 weeks. In happier news he is getting a lot of exercise, eating a variety of foods and seems gentle and not scared of us.

It is unlikely to be a health problem, torts with horrible pryamidding go on to live perfectly normal tortoise lives. If he has that though, I would also be concerned about what its diet and light regimen might have been like. But no matter how it was treated, the prescription is correct conditions from now on, if you do that, the tort will be fine.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
I do feel an extra level of pressure to get him on the right track since he already has pyramiding. We also don't know how old he is. Sadly if I knew we were getting a tortoise (since originally looking at turtles) there is a local breeder who's supposed to be great Tort Stork.

Last edited:

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
It is unlikely to be a health problem, torts with horrible pryamidding go on to live perfectly normal tortoise lives. If he has that though, I would also be concerned about what its diet and light regimen might have been like. But no matter how it was treated, the prescription is correct conditions from now on, if you do that, the tort will be fine.
Thanks that is good to hear! I do think we are working hard to keep him on the right track, following all the advice on here.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I do feel an extra level of pressure to get him on the right track since he already has pyramiding. We also don't know how old he is. Sadly if I knew we were getting a tortoise (since originally looking at turtles) there is a local breeder who's supposed to be great Tort Stork.

I dont think its sad hes with you, he needed a good home. I think what you said earlier about its age is probably pretty accurate, somewhere between 3-5 yrs. Relatively it doesnt really matter, it should live many decades.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Who sold you that tortoise thinking it was a Box Turtle? That shows sloppy work when shipping, total ignorance, or dishonesty. Post the name so other people will be informed and avoid that person/business.
Agree. I believe it was a shipping mistake, not that they didn't know. I don't want to be libelous since it was one experience; however if there is also pyramiding and potentially improper care it is really unacceptable and concerning. It is a large online breeder in the eastern US, most people on this forum who are more educated and probably wouldn't use them. If anyone is looking at online US breeders feel free to message me.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
I dont think its sad hes with you, he needed a good home. I think what you said earlier about its age is probably pretty accurate, somewhere between 3-5 yrs. Relatively it doesnt really matter, it should live many decades.
Thanks! We agree and feel fortunate that he came to us as we love him and will take good care of him, and hopefully prevent future pyramiding and health issues!

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Agree. I believe it was a shipping mistake, not that they didn't know. I don't want to be libelous since it was one experience; however if there is also pyramiding and potentially improper care it is really unacceptable and concerning. It is a large online breeder in the eastern US, most people on this forum who are more educated and probably wouldn't use them. If anyone is looking at online US breeders feel free to message me.

There is nothing libellous about sharing your experience with a seller. You ordered a turtle and they sent you a tortoise, and not a well cared for tort at that, if that doesn’t warrant naming and shaming I don’t know what does.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
There is nothing libellous about sharing your experience with a seller. You ordered a turtle and they sent you a tortoise, and not a well cared for tort at that, if that doesn’t warrant naming and shaming I don’t know what does.
Yes. They are feeding turtles and tortoises the same thing and selling older pyramiding tortoise of the wrong species! They need to go.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Yes. They are feeding turtles and tortoises the same thing and selling older pyramiding tortoise of the wrong species! They need to go.
True. We wrote them an email outlining all of the concerns and expressing that we hope that they are being more careful with other animals.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
[QUOT

E="queen koopa, post: 1911093, member: 110443"]
[/QUOT

I agree, just know from another forum where the people who ran it got sued for libel, so extra careful but happy to share with anyone who's in the market to buy a tortoise or who wants to know can private message.