Pyramiding on new tortoise?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Someone who knows Hermanni correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK the male Hermanni does NOT grow a concave plastron. You would tell the sex by the size of the tail.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
[QUOT

E="queen koopa, post: 1911093, member: 110443"]
Yes. They are feeding turtles and tortoises the same thing and selling older pyramiding tortoise of the wrong species! They need to go.
[/QUOT

I agree, just know from another forum where the people who ran it got sued for libel, so extra careful but happy to share with anyone who's in the market to buy a tortoise or who wants to know can private message.

FYI...the pyramiding won't ever go away. However, you can stop it and prevent it from getting worse.
I am not an expert by any means, but some years ago the local wildlife rescue gave me a badly pyramided Sulcata tortoise that was found in the wilds of downtown Portland Oregon. That was abut 4 years ago...
this is Knobby I'm holding him with my left hand...
IMG_0301.JPG
Knobby 2 yrs ago
100_3974.JPG
This is now Mary Knobbins. I am very careful to make sure most of her environment is correct for her. Her new growth stays normal, she is healthy and very active. I am positive she does not have MBD along w/the pyramiding. I realize that you are showing a different species, but I just wanted to kinda show you that your Hermanni's new growth will be smooth, but the pyramiding won't go away. Plz stay and ask questions
100_6290.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
[QUOT

E="queen koopa, post: 1911093, member: 110443"]
Yes. They are feeding turtles and tortoises the same thing and selling older pyramiding tortoise of the wrong species! They need to go.
[/QUOT

I agree, just know from another forum where the people who ran it got sued for libel, so extra careful but happy to share with anyone who's in the market to buy a tortoise or who wants to know can private message.
How is it libel to state the truth? Also, frankly, how is he to know you said anything, good or bad? And if he did sue, what a way to show his bad care.
send me his name in a pm. I certainly am not afraid of the outcome. Really, what's his name? I WILL post it

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Someone who knows Hermanni correct me if I'm wrong, but I THINK the male Hermanni does NOT grow a concave plastron. You would tell the sex by the size of the tail.

In @HermanniChris recent video on sexing he does show a male Hermanns and it has a concave plastron which he discusses.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
True. We wrote them an email outlining all of the concerns and expressing that we hope that they are being more careful with other animals.

I think your being naive to think that a letter will make any difference, these kinds of unscrupulous businesses tend to make a lot of money precisely because of the lack of scruples. I appreciate that you are happy to discuss in private but a lot of people look over these forums for guidance on sellers and you wont always be here. The right thing to do, IMO, is share the name of the seller so that we can warn people away from them in the future. If you dont want a part of it, then share it with one of the mods and let them decide.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
How is it libel to state the truth? Also, frankly, how is he to know you said anything, good or bad? And if he did sue, what a way to show his bad care.
send me his name in a pm. I certainly am not afraid of the outcome. Really, what's his name? I WILL post it

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You are thinking of Russians.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
FYI...the pyramiding won't ever go away. However, you can stop it and prevent it from getting worse.
I am not an expert by any ans, but some years ago the local wildlife rescue gave me a badly pyramided Sulcata tortoise that was found in the wilds of downtown Portland Oregon. That was abut 4 years ago...
this is Knobby I'm holding him with my left hand...
View attachment 316715
Knobby 2 yrs ago
View attachment 316716
This is now Mary Knobbins. I am very careful to make sure most of her environment is correct for her. Her new growth stays normal, she is healthy and very active. I am positive she does not have MBD along w/the pyramiding. I realize that you are showing a different species, but I just wanted to kinda show you that your Hermanni's new growth will be smooth, but the pyramiding won't go away. Plz stay and ask questions
View attachment 316717
I don't know you well yet, Maggie, but Mary Knobbly seems to have your spunk & is obviously determined. Luv your stories!!

1wildtiger

Alexandria VA

I have just been doing some research on sexing the E. Hermann's and you are correct. They are one tortoise in which the male does NOT have a concave plastron. The male has a much larger tail than the female. I just found out that one of my two female E. Hermann's is actually a boy! He surprised me during his morning soak!!! Oh my!!! LOL!!! He'll be two years old in March!!! And yes, his tail is huge!!! ?

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
I have just been doing some research on sexing the E. Hermann's and you are correct. They are one tortoise in which the male does NOT have a concave plastron. The male has a much larger tail than the female. I just found out that one of my two female E. Hermann's is actually a boy! He surprised me during his morning soak!!! Oh my!!! LOL!!! He'll be two years old in March!!! And yes, his tail is huge!!! ?

Ha! Ours is definitely male by the tale

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
I think your being naive to think that a letter will make any difference, these kinds of unscrupulous businesses tend to make a lot of money precisely because of the lack of scruples. I appreciate that you are happy to discuss in private but a lot of people look over these forums for guidance on sellers and you wont always be here. The right thing to do, IMO, is share the name of the seller so that we can warn people away from them in the future. If you dont want a part of it, then share it with one of the mods and let them decide.
How do I reach the moderator? I had a friend who was a moderator of a group and was sued for a member's comment, and it was extremely stressful, so I'm trying to be respectful. If they'd like to post they are welcome to

zovick

10 Year Member!
How do I reach the moderator? I had a friend who was a moderator of a group and was sued for a member's comment, and it was extremely stressful, so I'm trying to be respectful. If they'd like to post they are welcome to
I don't think this person will even discuss it privately. As she asked, I sent Chip's mom a PM Sunday asking the name of the place which sold them the deformed tortoise "by mistake" and have had no response.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
There’s probably a chance this breeder has already been ousted on this forum. I would talk to Yvonne G

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
I don't think this person will even discuss it privately. As she asked, I sent Chip's mom a PM Sunday asking the name of the place which sold them the deformed tortoise "by mistake" and have had no response.
Yes I'm happy to discuss and will respond. Just busy trying to juggle running a business and having kids in virtual school so I'm not always online.

Chip's mom

Philadelphia
Hi all. I'm not quite sure how to contact an admin
There’s probably a chance this breeder has already been ousted on this forum. I would talk to Yvonne G
Thanks. I contacted Yvonne as I want to do the right thing. This "breeder" has initials TT. We are writing reviews online and contacting the better business bureau.