Pyramiding in turtles??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipdog

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbus Ohio
I don't want to come off as a fool here. I know turtles and tortoises are different animals with different needs but I was wondering if turtles ever get pyramiding like the torts do. I haven't owned any turtles but it seems the ones I have seen seemed to be eating quite a bit of protein.

just an odd thought

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
Turtles tend to be more carnivorous animals, preying upon fish, insects, larvae, etc, and are prepared to process protein & calcium from their prey.

On the other hand, torts tend to be herbivours. There are exceptions to both cases, of couse (box turtles, for example eat insects)

All this rambling to say that the effect of protein in a RES vs a Testudo for example, would be quite different. They are totally dif. animals with dif. needs.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Chipdog said:
I don't want to come off as a fool here. I know turtles and tortoises are different animals with different needs but I was wondering if turtles ever get pyramiding like the torts do. I haven't owned any turtles but it seems the ones I have seen seemed to be eating quite a bit of protein.

just an odd thought

I have taken in quite a few RES (red ear sliders) with very bumpy, deformed carapaces due to poor diet and care. One time a lady brought me a RES that she bought as a hatchling and put into one of those little plastic carriers with a lid on it. The carrier was about 4" x 8". The turtle lived in that little plastic carrier with no light, no heater, and dirty water for about 4 years. When she brought me the turtle it was as big as the carrier, couldn't turn around unless it stood on its back legs, and was in very bad shape (and you wouldn't believe the smell!!!). This turtle was as bumpy as a bad road, and RES are usually smooth. When I put it into a bigger tub with more water it almost drowned as it didn't know how to swim.

Its amazing how much these creatures can endure and continue to live.

Yvonne

(Oh, and the reason this woman was giving up the turtle?? It was getting to be too much to keep it clean. Keep a 4" x 8" tiny plastic carrier clean??? Come on.)

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
what he said.

also, we have a painted turtle and it was fed too much protein (three goldfish a day even tho he's only 4 inches), and i am told the effects of this are that the edges of his shell have begun to curl up, which you can see when you look at him.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I have a rescued central american wood turtle that was fed on pellets exclusively and kept with only drinking water. She has shell defomation from this care, though not pyrimiding as such, and yes I believe improper care will cause shell deformation in turtles also.

Status
Not open for further replies.