Pyramidding in RFs-advice please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandolynn

5 Year Member
I adopted 2 female RFs who have pyramiding. I do not want their pyramiding to progress. They were given RepCal as their staple daily, and romaine, carrots and bananas 3 times a week. They also got low-fat dog or cat food every month or so. I know about the care they received because I watched them for 2 years. They were kept at a max. of 40% humidity. I have had them for 3 months and they are happy and active.
Their staple diet consists of leafy greens, mostly weeds I grow, and also collard, or turnip greens. This is a minimum of 60% of their diet.
I give them fruits such as Mango, kiwi, pineapple, never bananas as they were addicted to them when I first got them, 1/4 feedings with a base of greens. Never more than 20% of their diet.
I give mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, and other approved "veggies" 1/4 feedings, never more than 20%.
For protein, I give night crawlers or other insect protein in small amounts, 1/4 feedings. If they are outside a lot, I only give them insect protein half as often. 5-10%
Once every 2-4 weeks, I give them small amounts of animal protein, such as chicken, pinkies, etc. Maximum of around 2% of their diet.
I feed them 2 days, as much as they can eat in 30 minutes separately, then I take a day off.
They are in a 6' in diameter kiddie pool with cypress mulch and sphagnum moss as bedding. They have a large shallow tub for soaking, pothos, hibiscus, and ficus plants in the enclosure with drippers above them. I have a humidifier next to the pool which puts over 2 gallons into the air every day. Their humidity is never less than 80%. The cooler area of the pool is in the upper 70s during the day, lower 70s at night. The basking is never more than 85%, with a 100watt IR kept on only during the day.
They also have a low UVB output coil lamp. I live in the cold midwest, so they only get 3 months to go outside.
If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. BTW, the larger one, Jabuti, is 8" and Morroccoy is about 6.75".
http://picasaweb.google.com/1166138...?authkey=Gv1sRgCPiT9-KKibu-Xg&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rcHSqfiKWp6Mb2hJ0MOK1HlgZVuYqk8gPdhZS7j_roM?feat=directlink

turtle crazy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NM
Mandolynn said:
I adopted 2 female RFs who have pyramiding. I do not want their pyramiding to progress. They were given RepCal as their staple daily, and romaine, carrots and bananas 3 times a week. They also got low-fat dog or cat food every month or so. I know about the care they received because I watched them for 2 years. They were kept at a max. of 40% humidity. I have had them for 3 months and they are happy and active.
Their staple diet consists of leafy greens, mostly weeds I grow, and also collard, or turnip greens. This is a minimum of 60% of their diet.
I give them fruits such as Mango, kiwi, pineapple, never bananas as they were addicted to them when I first got them, 1/4 feedings with a base of greens. Never more than 20% of their diet.
I give mushrooms, zucchini, bell peppers, and other approved "veggies" 1/4 feedings, never more than 20%.
For protein, I give night crawlers or other insect protein in small amounts, 1/4 feedings. If they are outside a lot, I only give them insect protein half as often. 5-10%
Once every 2-4 weeks, I give them small amounts of animal protein, such as chicken, pinkies, etc. Maximum of around 2% of their diet.
I feed them 2 days, as much as they can eat in 30 minutes separately, then I take a day off.
They are in a 6' in diameter kiddie pool with cypress mulch and sphagnum moss as bedding. They have a large shallow tub for soaking, pothos, hibiscus, and ficus plants in the enclosure with drippers above them. I have a humidifier next to the pool which puts over 2 gallons into the air every day. Their humidity is never less than 80%. The cooler area of the pool is in the upper 70s during the day, lower 70s at night. The basking is never more than 85%, with a 100watt IR kept on only during the day.
They also have a low UVB output coil lamp. I live in the cold midwest, so they only get 3 months to go outside.
If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. BTW, the larger one, Jabuti, is 8" and Morroccoy is about 6.75".
http://picasaweb.google.com/1166138...?authkey=Gv1sRgCPiT9-KKibu-Xg&feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/rcHSqfiKWp6Mb2hJ0MOK1HlgZVuYqk8gPdhZS7j_roM?feat=directlink

You dont mention a humid hide. They need a couple different temperature hides. You also need to keep the humidity up in the hides. I made "tea bags" lol, little mesh bags with long spagnum moss. these I soak and wring out just enough so they dont drip. They are tied to the roof of the little tortoise houses that I have made out of appropiately sized packers that I cut doors into. In the bottom of the houses I have coconut coir mixed with cypress. I also mist the tortoises several times a day. I now have an automatic misting system and that helps a lot.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Your humidity at 80 % sounds fine to me. I keep a heat emitter on 24/7, keeping the temp. at around 82 - 85 in the whole vivarium. On one side I put a long tube 5.0 UVB, for day light. As for the hide, I fill it with warm moist long fiber moss, that he has to dig his way into. I only have two, so I'm no expert, but that is how I keep mine.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
You asked.. the temps are a bit too low and too many changes /variables.. and sounds like too much light. Of course most likely you are about to be told by others that everything is about 100% correct that you do. You're doing what you were told.. I'm sure.

This has started and maintained literally 100's of hatchlings - adults.. including TerryO's - http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

Keep us posted.

NERD

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Mandolynn said:

I named my first Red-foot Japuta- I think native names are great for many species.

Where in the Midwest? I'm in Omaha and find it tough to maintain temps and humidity without some sort of cover, unless I dedicate a room to the temps and humidity needed.

Mandolynn

5 Year Member
I do have two hides in their enclosure, which have sphagnum moss in them and stay more moist than the rest of the enclosure. I am unsure about what temp to keep them at since I have heard many different opinions. They don't hang out all that much under the heat lamp. I got a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter and raised the temps to about 80-82. But, I have always thought there should be a warmer area even though they don't bask like other torties. And shouldn't the temperatures drop somewhat at night? I don't think they have a problem with humidity, because it's always over 80%, but usually 85%. They have drippers and a humidifier, and I also keep tropical fish in their room, and this helps as well. And I mist them at least well 2-3 times a day. The UVB they have is only a 5.0 and it only shines in one part of their habitat. I am leery of going without UVB, as many people suggest. Even though their natural habitat is shaded, sunlight still reaches them. And they do sometimes hang out under the UVB. I appreciate all your advice. What about their diet? I just don't want to further their pyramiding. They are my babies!

Madkins007 I am in North Dakota, and yes it's dry and usually cold. They do have a room devoted to them and a few tropical fish tanks, and it stays humid enough without covering them. I will probably cover half of their habitat when winter comes, and have to work harder to keep it humid enough. And I love that you understood their names! All of my friends and family thought they were the weirdest names ever. Only true nerds appreciate that! lol

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
These guys can get addictive. If you get any more, you can use Carumbe (if it is a male) or Molokoi.

Some of the more obscure names, used by smaller groups of natives, would be Yarou, Hikuri, Tarapek, Yokai, Kaw, Hwikstabu, Wayapopi Harra, Tacourari, Aiue, Kalume, etc.

The book 'South American Tortoises' by Vinke and Vetter has a whole long list of local and regional names.

Status
Not open for further replies.