Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlemom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Berthoud, Colorado
Hi all,
I need some suggestions for putting eye ointment in Bowzer's eye. Drops would be easier, but this is the terramycin (sp?) ointment. I thought we could entice him out of his shell with food and then quickly swipe a finger near his eye. I had no idea it would be so challenging! Too bad he doesn't have eyes on his shell, or his foot since there's no problem getting it to end up there :D

Thanks for any ideas.
Donna

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My vet suggested to not use Qtip's or (cotton swabs) because they are abrasice to eyes.

jcooper0311

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Are you trying to go from behind the head as opposed to him seeing your finger coming at him and sucking in. I don't know but maybe that would make a difference.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You don't have to actually place the ointment on the eyeball. Just apply it to his eye lids. Coming at him from behind, you should be able to dab it on his eye before he pulls in. Also, you can gently hold his toes on one front leg so that he can't cover his face with that leg. They're strong, but if you hold tight you won't hurt him.

Yvonne

turtlemom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Berthoud, Colorado
Thanks everyone! I tried to grab his head (like you do when you force feed) but he was too strong and that ended up making him paranoid of what we were trying to do! So I put a little dab on the inside of his front leg. When he pulled back into his shell, he rubbed it all over his eye, and his head and his nose and everywhere :p

Maybe we'll do better today . . .

Donna

Status
Not open for further replies.