Puppy pads?

zimone94

So the few nights it gets cold here in South Florida I have had to bring my redfoot in. I have tried soaking him tho make him poop, and it will not work. I'm hating cleaning poop out of the grout and the poop trails. Has anyone tried lining the floor with puppy pads with no safety issues?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
Do you mean that you don't have an indoor enclosure and he's pooping on the floor? What about getting an enclosure? If it's just on cold nights it could just be a big plastic tote with some substrate... orchid bark, coco coir, cypress mulch or just organic soil. Add something for him to hide/ sleep in.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Do you mean that you don't have an indoor enclosure and he's pooping on the floor? What about getting an enclosure? If it's just on cold nights it could just be a big plastic tote with some substrate... orchid bark, coco coir, cypress mulch or just organic soil. Add something for him to hide/ sleep in.
Yes roaming the house has lots of health hazards. A box is a great idea!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So the few nights it gets cold here in South Florida I have had to bring my redfoot in. I have tried soaking him tho make him poop, and it will not work. I'm hating cleaning poop out of the grout and the poop trails. Has anyone tried lining the floor with puppy pads with no safety issues?
You need to build a proper outdoor shelter with a thermostat controlling a safe heat source. Loose on the floor or stuck in a tiny tub is not the way to go.

Here is an example of a double box. Half this size would be plenty for a single RF.
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/double-door-night-box.129054/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
As long as the tortoise is an outdoor tortoise, and is only being brought inside on cold nights, you don't need to do anything drastic. Just buy a large plastic tub, add some substrate and set the tortoise in the tub at night. Keep the lid and set the lid on the tub overnight. Then when it warms up outside, put him back out.

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Puppy pads are often imbedded with chemicals to attract the dog to use the pad for defecation and urination. The plastic on the back would also be very bad for the Tortoise should it be consumed.

Lyric

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
Hi, I'm the gulf area. We get cold at night too. I have a 9 year old male redfoot tortoise. I don't know what your inside space is like; but I use a pool storage box that I can bring in. I put a large planter dish in there for his water. I also put a sheet of plywood at one end so that he can have a hide. I have been using Florida mulch for about 5 years and I put a plastic tarp under the box. I move it into and out of my family room o a dolly.
He has room to walk around. I feed him in his outside enclosure. During the day when it is warmer. If there's any poop, I use a dog poop bag or rubber gloves to remove it. Just close the lid at night. Hope that this helps.